Saiygirl
Saiygirl asks:
Q:

How can I speak English well?

How can I speak English well more than now?
How can I listen English better more than now?
In Topics: Learning a second language

|

My husband is an English language learner (English is his third language). In his home country of Indonesia, he learned English from visiting European and American tourists, and by taking classes at his high school.

When he first came to the United States (as an adult), he took English language classes at an institute in San Francisco that focuses on teaching visiting foreigners (those who have a student visa). Language Studies International is another institute that offers such classes. http://www.lsi.edu/en/

Later, after he became a permanent U.S. resident, he took more English classes at local adult schools. However, at those classes, the focus was on learners whose original language was Spanish, and as a result, my husband didn't enjoy the classes as much. Instead, we found him a school that focused on language learning and job placement for Asian immigrants, and after awhile, his competency was good enough to finish the schooling (and he got a job).

Outside of the classroom learning: being immersed in U.S. culture has really helped him the most with his conversational English and confidence in using English. Also, now that we have a school-age child, he is brushing up on his skills by listening when I help our daughter with homework, and taking the same spelling and vocabulary tests in her homework packet. His English isn't perfect, but he's definitely improved dramatically in the decade that I've known him.

You didn't mention what country you are in (or what your original language is), but I hope that I have provided some insights that will help you in developing your skills as well. Thanks for asking!

1
0
obida
obida writes:
you have to stay with english pepol as passble

0
0
amorprohibidoR40
amorprohibi... writes:
by  watching english learning channels also by reading english books

0
0
resty
resty writes:
by listening you can do anything
You also have to love this lesson so that you enthusiastic

1
0
BigSis
BigSis writes:
A great way to get a better grasp on a second language is to immerse yourself. Interact with English speakers and try your best to speak only English during conversations, watch shows in English, listen to music in English, read in English, take an English as a Second Language (ESL) class at your local community college, etc. It helps to pay special attention to how things are pronounce and try to emulate that. English is my first language and I still have a hard time pronouncing everything correctly, so don't worry if you mispronounce something. Good luck!

0
0