peggy58 asks:

How can I ensure that my daughter's special education needs are met in Cheyenne, Wyoming?

My 10 year old daughter has an IEP and is transferring from bvsd to cheyenne wy.  How can I ensure that that her special education needs are met in Wyomming.
In Topics: Choosing a school, Learning disabilities, Special education
> 60 days ago



Jul 22, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

If you already know the name of the school she will be attending, you can request that her school records are transfered as soon as possible.  If you can obtain a copy of them, that would be even better.  

When you get to Wyoming, contact the new school and request a conference with the ESE specialist.  Explain the situation, and what is on her IEP.  Tell them what has worked best in the past and make any requests you may have at this time.  That could include the type of teacher she works best with, how you plan to work with the school, or what might trigger inappropriate behavior.  

Try to do this before the school year starts.  Once your daughter is placed, request a conference with her teacher(s) so you can fill them in on her IEP.  Most teachers would like to know that information up front.  A parent can provide much more information than what is stated on the IEP or other pieces of paper passed on from her old school.

Good luck!

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely