ncrapr
ncrapr asks:
Q:

How can I help my special education child succeed in the work world?

my son is now 19 and i see life being hard for him in the work field.I did not know his disability untill middle of 7th grade. I just thought he was trying. It took a teacher that cared to help and i still don't know what to do. He is very laid back and is quite and not alot of expressing himself.I don't know what he is thinking because he's so quite. What can i do at this point to get him to want to try for jobs. He works at Wendy's about 1 to 2 days a week most of the time just 1 day.They said it is not fast enough to work him alot.I know he has to have a low self esteem. He graduated last year with a special ed diploma.HELP!!!
In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

Hello Ncrapr,

I agree that your local vocational and rehab programs for your county should be able to guide you.  If they are unable, you may need to contact someone at a state level office for vocational assistance.  

I also have searched for help with your question and think that I may have two groups that can be of help to you.

Both have parent support networks.  Also, the one may seem like a "childs" site, but please dig a bit with the links to find other relevant information to your question. Also note, that both have social network sites on Facebook that you can post this question to people, as well.
0
0

kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:

I'm sorry to hear about your son's difficulties in finding steady employment.  Perhaps you should try to contact the vocational rehabilitation program in your state to get some help.  Vocational rehabilitation programs exist to help individuals with disabilities beome employed.  Here is a resource on the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services that might give you a starting point.

Kelly

0
0