Tammysue43
Tammysue43 asks:
Q:

Are special education high school students required to have as many credits to graduate as regular students?

My son is 16, tenth grade. He is on an IEP. Are special education students required to have as many credits to graduate as regular students.  
In Topics: Special needs

|

Hello Tammysue and thank you for writing to JustAsk!

I am not sure where you are located, however I do know that each state must have a board of education written set of guidelines for graduation.  Please request a copy of these requirements and any addendums, modifications or regulations that would pertain to a student with an IEP.  The types of graduation requirements for a student with an IEP may differ depending on the intensity and level of service given to the child.  

I suspect that there may be differences from state to state and perhaps even within each state.

Nationally Certified School Psychologsit
Owner of Signing Families
http://SigningFamilies.com

1
0

michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
Tammy,

I believe that a student has to complete the minimum number of credits in order to graduate HS, even if they are on an IEP. I would call the district office and speak to the Special Education supervisor. S/he will be able to provide with the correct information.

1
0