StinasMami
StinasMami asks:
Q:

How do I get Speech for my 6 year old daughter?

I went to the school but she doesnt qualify for any services because she tested to high. I agree my child is smart and her vocabulary is well above what a normal 6 year old would have. but the problem is that she doesnt pronounce her words correctly. She talks the same way she did when she learned to talk. her words sound the same. When she was accessed they said she would basicly grow out of it around 8 but 2 years ago it was 6 or 7. I feel like they just keep feeding me bull because they dont have enough room for her in speech. I am trying to be aggressive about this because I have noticed that this is affecting everything from school work to her self esteem. She writes how the words sound to her. She wont talk to people if they dont understand her and she gets her feelings hurt when she has to repeat herself because of communication problems. Any suggestions on what I should do now?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Speech and language issues

|
mongon
mongon writes:
My daughter is moderately deaf. When she was two years old (until five) we went to a private therapist and I worked with her. The school district didn't want to give her therapy. I was told I did too good of a job. I continue to work with her. I also am fighting with my district to have assisted listening device in her class. What you are describing is not an IQ issue. She needs to be evaluated by a speech therapist and a hearing specialist. Maybe she has a hearing loss. Speak with her pediatrician and request the necessary insurance referrals for an evaluation. Rule out any medical problems. Work with her everyday by playing games and getting her to use complete sentences. There are specialty games and manipulative designed for this purpose. Good luck.

1
0
6yroldforever
6yroldforever writes:
What you are talking about is a speech development problem, which has nothing to do with intelligence.  I have requested speech testing and Gifted and talented testing for the same child.  Unfortunately, since "No Child Left Behind" was passed, schools try to keep special education numbers low because they are graded from the Federal government on those numbers and speech development problems fall under the special ed. umbrella.  As a parent, I would take her and get her evaluated by a private speech therapist.  Under Federal Law, the school should service her, but they are not saying they won't they are putting it off, so I don't know if they are violating the law.

0
0
cprouty84
cprouty84 writes:
You absolutely shoud press this issue. My son is 7 and in the 2nd grade. He finally started with a speech teacher at the end of last year because I kept asking about it. He was and still is doing the same things that your daughter is. He writes words the way that he hears them when he says them which in some cases is WRONG. For example he says "with" like "wif" so of course when he is asked to spell it, it is wrong. I ended up pulling my son from the school that he was going to and put him in a different school and it is a Charter school so its like a private school but free like public. And we love it. I have seen a big difference in his reading skills and his grammer, and not to mention SPEECH...lol Good luck and just remember to press on issues that you feel are effecting your childs education, and this is definitely one of them.

0
0