gmluff
gmluff asks:
Q:

Is my speech delayed 5 yr old ready for kindergarten?

I have a 5 yr old daughter who has be labeled as having a speech delay since she was 2 yrs old. She has been in speech therapy for the past 3 years and has improved greatly. The daycare that she has been attending has also be great with making sure he is using her words instead of facial features and gestures.  My concern is that even though she communicates with those she has been around for years, is she ready for kindergarten at the age of 5 or should I wait another years?  She has been evaluated and it has been determined she will need to continue her speech therapy and also be pulled out of the classroom for special education.  I am worried that I may be rushing into things.
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

There are many factors to consider when deciding if your 5 year old is ready for kindergarten. Many children begin kindergarten at age 6, so there will be a wide range of ages and skill levels in the classroom. Factors such as emotional maturity, school-readiness skills, the ability to attend for a full day of learning, social skills, as well as a child's speech and language skills are all important.

Children with delayed speech and language may be impacted in their ability to learn and keep up with their peers in the classroom, but they also may have a more difficult time interacting and communicating socially with their friends. The school should be able to provide support through speech/language therapy to help your child in the classroom. However, if your child is not attentive in the classroom, is not as emotionally mature as the other students, or is not able to use language socially to communicate with their friends, be sure to discuss these issues with your child’s speech-language pathologist (SLP or speech therapist).

It's important to get advice from the professionals who know your child. Continue to have on-going conversations with your child's SLP, and talk to the school to help you determine if your child is ready for kindergarten. If your child is not ready quite yet, giving him or her an extra year of development may make a big difference in their success and their confidence in starting school.

3
0