Tiamama2
Tiamama2 asks:
Q:

What can I do to make Spelling and reading more fun for my six year old?

I am a new teacher of early childhood education and My son is in grade 1, he cannot read, so weekly spelling is implemented, but for the love of me he does not want to learn to spell or read ( when study time comes he cries, or gets sleepy, its just a mess at that time) doing his home work or class work is not problem at all. only the spelling and reading poses a problem...I read to him daily, he enjoys that but learning for himself, he is just not interested. His teacher and I are trying to come up with fun ways to motivate him.

So any help will be appreciated.Thanks
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Helping my child with writing, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

For children who have difficulty reading, it can be a challenge to motivate them to practice. They know it is hard for them, so oftentimes they will find any way they can to avoid it. They will use excuses, be distracted, get upset, find other things they need to do--anything to delay having to work on it.

The important thing is to use your child's individual interests to motivate him.  If your son is into super heroes, make new super hero names starting with all the letters of the alphabet. Have him practice saying the names and telling you what letter each name starts with and the sound it makes.  Or, if he enjoys art, cut out letters and have him decorate each letter and practice making words out of them. Read rhyming books to him, and have him complete the sentence with the rhyming words. Find simple books that are on a subject that he is interested in. Start by taking turns reading and helping him sound out the words.

If your son continues to struggle with reading, ask his teacher if there is a reading specialist at the school. Your son may need additional help from an expert to help him learn to read and spell. Once he begins reading, encourage him to read something he enjoys every day. Once he becomes more confident, hopefully he will develop a love for reading that will continue throughout his life.

1
0

Hi Tiamama2,

Thanks for using JustAsk!

Your dedication to your child's learning is inspirational. He's very lucky to have a mom that's working so hard to further his education!

Learning to read and spell can be a scary and intimidating process for kids. All of those letters and words jumbled on a page are enough to give any aspiring reader a headache, no matter how motivated he or she is. I think it's wonderful that you're taking the first step by reading to your child often. Urge him to switch off reading with you - you read a page and he reads a page. Hopefully, the constant encouragement will eventually get through to him. And when he does choose to participate, make sure to take notice and praise him! It's important to keep his self esteem and confidence up, as a fear of making mistakes can be a huge impediment in the reading process.

I also suggest you try to interest him in spelling and reading practice by disguising lessons as fun activities or games. We have a bunch of activities at the first grade level that put a fun twist on spelling and reading practice! Below, I'm including links to portals that feature spelling and reading activities. Some especially fun ones: Action Word Charades, Grocery Store Decoding, and Dictionary Treasure Hunt!

If you feel that any of these activities are just a bit too tough for your little one, try browsing through the kindergarten activities (included below, also). It's important to keep lessons at his level, so that he remains comfortable with the process.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

4
0
1Jessica7
1Jessica7 writes:
ok ! whatever you do always spell , labor everything, before he take or touch something make he read it works

1
0
salisburry
salisburry writes:

I can suggest you a best way, just download "Boto the pink dolphin" app from Play store. This is a game-playing educational app for kids, that makes their learning interesting and funny. Kids enjoy learning by playing games with Boto the pink dolphin. This app helps kids to improve their reading capacity and creativity skills.

This is the best way to improve kids reading capacity in a colorful funny way.

0
0
Lisa18967
Lisa18967 writes:
Learn phonics fundamentals with 6 books that explore the short vowels a-e-i-o-u.
Hear words sounded out, spoken and spelled to improve word-blending skills and reinforce spelling skills.
Teaches short vowels, sight words and simple words.
Ages 4-6 years.
Works with Tag and the LeapReader Reading & Writing System (sold separatel

0
0
Anonymous