karenw1
karenw1 asks:
Q:

spelling words/tests

how do i get my 10 yr. old daughter to study spelling words and remember them for 5 minutes?
In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|

Sylvia HS

Hi karenw1,

I've found it very helpful to teach students how to spell by using Neurolinguistic programming.  They learn to use the techniques that good spellers use.  Good spellers visualize the word.  Then they write it down to see if it feels right.  I've written a modified version of the NLP technique in my book which you can find in the resource website below.

Another very strong strategy I've used is to have students look at the whole word, or the part of the word that they find difficult, and develop personal memory cues to help them remember that word.  For example, some students mis-pronounce a word to help them remember it, e.g. they say "is-land" for "island".  Some students make up a silly rhyme to help them remember a word, e.g. "Boys Eat CAlifornia US Elephants" to help them remember the word "because".  (The first letter(s) in each of these words spells "because".)  There are many personal cues that students can use.  If they remember the word, then that's a useful strategy for them.  If they forget the word, then they'll need to work out a more useful rhyme, or picture, or silly sentence, etc.

Spelling can be fun, believe it or not!!!!!  If you get your daughter involved in creating her own memory cues, she'll become much more engaged in studying her words.  
1
0

anaieka
anaieka writes:
Have her  recite them out loud  then write them ten time ecah , while she's wrtting them have them spell it out loud you will see she will catch on to it.

0
1
icanspell
icanspell writes:
It is important to make spelling real FUN! Use NLP techniques, games and activities. Check out www.icanspell.co.uk for ideas. Teach her high and medium frequency words first, so that she has good access to the curriculum and is able to write stories and essays that makes sense and that will give her the confidence to want to study spelling words.

0
0
icanspell
icanspell writes:

0
0