Carestoomuch
Carestoomuch asks:
Q:

How do I "spin" telling my son that he has been essentially "cut" from his baseball team he's played on for the last 3 yrs.  He's in 3rd grade?

My son loves being on this baseball team.  He has 3 really good friends on this team, one is his best friend.  He is not a stud athlete, but is an average player.  The coach wants to get more competitive with the team (although this is a rec team) and has told us that it isn't best for our son to continue on this team.  No tryouts.  We have to break this to him.  How do we do this?  We can say that we don't feel like this is the best fit for him anymore (which in reality it probably isn't...since this coach is wanting to recruit great athletes and not develop what he has).  But will he hold this against us if we act like it is our decision to tell him he won't be playing with the team?
In Topics: Sports and athletics

|

Windy1
Windy1 , Child Professional, Parent writes:
It is a good time to teach him that everyone has different strengths, and also how to deal with disappointments in a constructive manner.  Don't "take the blame". It's not your fault.

It's a real shame your rec department okayed this. In third grade, it shouldn't be about "skill".

1
0