Suzzymarcum asks:

How do I start the process for my child to recieve special education .

In Topics: Special needs
> 60 days ago



May 9, 2013
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:


Special Education is a federally funded program with much documentation and often "hoops".  However, most schools have a set process which is easy and helpful.  First, initiate the process, if you wish, by writing for a team meeting for consideration of your child to be observed, evaluated (maybe), etc.

For more information about the other steps of special education please visit the parent portions of these websites:

Also, this question (and variation of it) have been answered by others and myself so please feel free to search JustAsk for "special education" and "assessments".

Good luck!

Louise Sattler
School Psychologist

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

kathyaze , Parent writes:
I had the same concern:
First: Request your child's pediatrician to provide you with phone numbers of Organizations close to your home.
Second: Call them and they will call you back, an specialist will go to your home to fill it out papers.
Third: depending of your concerns they will send  at your home specialists to evaluate your kid.
In my case, my son was evaluated by a Speech Therapy, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Psychologist and Special teacher. This doesn't mean that you will receive all this service but at least you will know what your child need.
Good Luck!!
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely