ElaineVargas
ElaineVargas , Parent asks:
Q:

What step should I take next with my 6 year old sons behavior?

I have a 6 year old son who is in 1st grade. He was going to second grade intervention but was kicked out because he was not cooperating with doing his class assignments. When asked why he would not do all of his work he responded because all they do in second grade is read write and draw. As if he is expecting more out of second grade. He also says the school work is boring and that is why he acts out. I had a talk with his teacher and she doesn't believe he is bored she believes he is being (nicely put) lazy. We see allot of potential in my son. He is one of the top students(4 altogether) in his class. His teacher gives him special homework and class work that is at a secondgrade level. The teacher also says he isn't bored because if he was he would always get everything right all the time and be done and over with it. I feel like him not completing his work or acting like he doesn't understand the work that is given to him is his way of showing that it is too easy for him and doesn't want to waste his time doing something he already knows how to do. i want my son to have the best educational experience HE can have. Where do I go from here?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Discipline and behavior challenges

|

salfam
salfam writes:
Yikes, sounds a lot like my 6 year old son. We're homeschooling him to give him the best chance possible. Other options in our area would be open-enrolling in another school district, a charter school, or a private school.  It has made a world of difference for my older son to be with teachers who understand his learning style (kinesthetic: he's a wiggler who is also very bright and under challenged) and allow him to move more freely. Maybe talking with a different teacher who can accommodate him would help.  Good luck and don't give up!

1
0