concern.step-mom
concern.ste... asks:
Q:

My stepson is 13yrs of age. He is currently in

grade 8 but is in a special class for reading, writing, and math. His level of reading is about grade 4 level and spelling I'd say grade three level. As for math adding and subtracting in double digits. I'm worried about high school. He is to start grade nine next year and socially is introverted and has the comprehension of a 6 yr old. He has been diagnose with ODD, ADHD, and severe ODD and a mild intellectual delay. My question is, is he ever going to mature and have a normal life? Or is he always going to be at this maturity level? The reason I'm asking is because he seemed to be at same maturity level since grade three. Could he be mildly autistic?
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

As a School Psychologist I know that you wish for a "crystal ball". Unfortunately, we do not always have ways to predict accurately the future of a child (and when we do, they surprise us, usually for the better!)  I would suggest that you could begin NOW with closely working with guidance counselors to help with academic and life/career planning for your stepson. They have many resources and can be of great help. Also, a School Psychologist can help with your questions regarding Autism.

Best wishes-

Louise Sattler

0
1