Momof3daughters
Momof3daugh... asks:
Q:

How do I stop my 18 year old daughter from dating someone dangerous?

Our daughter has secretly been dating a 19 year old that is dangerous to himself and to others for 3 years. We have forbidden the relationship long ago when we first thought it was happening because of what she has told us about him.
His family is very well to do and they have bent over backwards to try and help him. My daughter is the type of kid that sees the good in everyone. It's almost like she thinks she is going to save him? He has been kicked out of 3 different high schools. He stole beer from his job at the grocery store. He stole all of his mom's jewelry and sold it for booze and drugs. He has been arrested for drinking and driving. Twice. He has threatened to kill his sister (my daughter's best friend) and recently he has been driving by (as the passenger) and flipping us off. His mom and dad have put him up in an apartment because they don't want him to live with them. However they are over the moon when the relationship is on again, in this very on and off romance.
So he has no job, no license, and no education. My daughter graduates high school in less than 2 months and she has joined the military (happy dance). She leaves in June. Why can she just not stay away from him? Recently he posted a pix of the two of them and we were blown away, we thought they were totally done. With her leaving in two months what do we do?
She is respectful in every other way. She does not talk back and works hard for her money, making her own car payment every month. HELP!
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Children and stress

|

LISSAMEL84
LISSAMEL84 writes:
If your daughter is 18, there is really nothing you can do.  Thank goodness she will be leaving for the military soon!  He will probably get bored waiting for her and find someone else.  She will mature a lot while she is in the service and realize you were right. (They always do!)  It sounds like you have a very well rounded daughter who just wanted to make someone's life as great as hers has been.  Please thank her for her future service!

1
0