Anonymous
Q:

What should I do if I need help to stop cutting, but I can't get it from my parents?

(I know this forum is for parents about children, but here I go)I am 17, I have been depressed for almost three years, I started cutting last summer, and from there it has gotten pretty serious. It helps (and I know that for those of you who haven't done it you won't understand that, but it does help). I know, logically, that I need to stop, but honestly I don't have the motivation to. The thing is, my parents have no clue, only two people know, they both think I have stopped, but one hasn't spoken to me in 4 months so I don't think he really cares at all anyway. My dad and mom are divorced and they fight about the big things like going to the doctor for a sinus infection (waste of money vs. necessity). Tomorrow id SI awareness day so I was talking to my mom about it because we are supposed to wear orange to school. She just made fun of people who SI. And she said things that infer that she thinks SI is stupid and that people that SI are oblivious and crazy. She doesn't believe in medical treatment (therapy/drugs), but rather thinks that God will fix it. I don't agree. Depression is a medical thing and I don't believe that God alone can help me. My dad would freak out and my step mother too. They would make a huge deal about it and tell the whole family (regardless to if I ask them not to). And my mom and dad would have a massive fight over the best method to help me. That fight would just make my mental status worse (the fights always do), so what can/should I do? Thank you!
In Topics: Cutting

|

You are right many people don't understand why someone would want to physically harm themself. What is important is that you are realizing that this isn't a healthy coping skill, and you need to learn healthier ways to deal with your stress.

If you don't feel that you can talk with your parents could you talk with another family member. Possibly a Grandparent or Aunt or Uncle. Maybe even an older cousin.

If you don't feel comfortable with talking with a family member what about a teacher or counselor at school. Someone that could possibly help you talk with your parents about this.

What about talking with your family doctor the next time you go in for a check up about how you are feeling.

Enclosed are a couple of articles that deals with cutting and talking with your parents. Also you will find a website that is designed more specifically for teens that you might find helpful.

Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000.
1
0

1sttimemom
1sttimemom writes:
If you can not get help from your parents, you need to go to the doctor, turn your life around and find something that would help you keep your hands busy. I have 3 step daughters, 2 of them were cutters just like yourself. My oldest, now 17, stopped cutting because she found a passion in art. My middle daughter, now 16, stopped cutting because she found sports as her passion.  Everyone has a passion, and if you think real hard, push the issue on your parents and make them listen to what you have to say.  If they still don't want to listen, find God, talk to him, he is always there for you no matter what.  Stress is a factor that causes these things in teens, and no one takes them serious any more, when it's more than serious to look out for your children.  
Write a letter, start a diary, find something that will make you happy instead of those around you.  You are important too, and tho I don't know you, always remember, you are loved by someone, and God loves you.

0
0
Lovehurts
Lovehurts writes:
Think of your future. Think of what you want to do with your life and then think of how cutting yourself affects that. Every time you cut yourself right down how you are feeling. Some times its better to use paper instead of skin.

0
0