Olvera1301
Olvera1301 asks:
Q:

What can I do to stop my daughter (12y.o.) from stealing snacks and hide to eat them?

I try to have healthy food, snacks and a lot of fruit at home so we do not have the temptation of junk food. Well, my daughter steals  the granola bars, nuts, or any sweets that I usually use to bake. I just bought some chocolate bars for teacher appreciation week...they are gone! the same happened on Christmas, valentines, Easter...I cant have anything because she will eat it even if i hide them!  I will appreciate any advice, for now I'm working on the lie part that is the one that hurt the most, but  I'm also afraid she could develop an addiction or eating disorder.  Thank you for reading!
In Topics: Nutrition, Eating disorders, Children and stress

|

Kudos to you for teaching your family to eat healthy!  But perhaps your daughter feels deprived of the sweets and that is her reason for sneaking all the sweets that she can find at home.  If she craves sweets, give her permission to have a small snack of her choice once a day.  Talk with her.  Ask her why she hides food and what she thinks can be done to stop her from doing that.  Let her know that you do not approve of lying and you want to trust her.  However, if she keeps on lying there will be no trust between the two of you and the relationship will suffer.  Also, stress that hiding food around a house is not a good habit as it attracts rodents and cockroaches!

1
0

CarolineGraceMerryman
CarolineGra... , Student writes:
I am 13 and I often used to hide and sneak candy, chips, etc. I don't have an eating disorder, but sometimes I just felt super hungry. I have always been shy about asking food related questions, so I would often sneak. I could have just asked for chocalate or chips, but like your own daughter, I would lie, saying I did no such thing. Lying, too, hurt my mom the most. Some advice, as I did what she did, would be to see how comfortable your girl feels with asking questions or permission.
If she (for whatever reason), isn't comfortable with asking you things, try allowing her to have snacks for a couple of days. Leave the unhealthy snacks out for her to eat. Watch closely how much she is consuming, and then decide if she has an eating disorder. At dinner mention how important eating healthy is. If your daughter looks uncomfortable during these talks, it is most likely because she feels guilty about eating unhealthy.

If your child is eating EVERYTHING you buy, she may have a disorder. Give her bigger portions of dinner,or more lunch. Try experimenting with her to see what healthy foods your daughter will eat, and have them readily avalible for her to eat. Limit snacks, after observing her habits. Lock up the snacks up if she is inhaling food.

Punish her for lying. I KNOW MY MOM DID :)

See how she feels about her body. If she thinks she is overweight, tell her she is perfect. She may sneak because she thinks that other people think she eats too much, and she may be afraid of eating in front of people.

Best of luck!!!!!!

0
0
talljohnjohn
talljohnjohn writes:
have her stop eating junk food in start making her eat health so she wont be over weight in put the junk for in the garbage in throw it away in buy apples banana's in carrots

0
0
Anonymous