earls
earls asks:
Q:

HOW DO YOU STOP A TEACHER FROM SCARING YOUR CHILD WITH HER WORDS?

What should you do when a child fears his teacher because
of the way she talks to the class room? He is scared of what will happen to him if i say any thing to her. He hate to go to school now because of this one teacher. What do
you say to a teacher who tells her students do they want to live or die to today? Or I"m going to choke someone if they kept on talking. What should I say to this teacher, and how is the best way to deal with her?
IS THERE A LAW FOR HOMEWORK ?
CAN ALL SCHOOL WORK BE DONE AT SCHOOL?
DOES OHIO HAVE A HOMEWORK LAW?
IF SO HOW CAN ONE SCHOOL , HAVE IT AND NOT ANOTHER?
DO YOU THINK HOMEWORK IS GOOD FOR THE STUDENTS?
DO YOU THINK HOMEWORK IS FROM LAZY TEACHERS?
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school, Bullying and teasing

|

Nebraska

I would document what your child is saying and then go to the teacher to discuss your concerns. If the teacher isn't being receptive, then you should go to the principal with your concerns.

Regarding homework, I would check your district policies and procedures. Homework typically varies across subject areas. Certainly, additional practice of concepts and doing work at home can link learning across home and school.

2
1

ronald
ronald writes:
Earls,

The problem is not going to away if you do nothing. Here are a few thoughts. 1) Speak with another parent (that you know well) whose child is in that class. Always good to verify impressions that children have. 2) Without accusing teacher of stated behaviors, talk to the principal. You may learn more about the teacher. Indicate that there appears to be "communications" issues between your child and the teacher. 3) Speak directly to the teacher. Children never want the parent to address problems with the classroom teacher for reasons you stated. This was true with my two boys. Each time I spoke to teachers about their issues, things got better. The teacher needs to know that you are involved. 4) If you verify that the teacher is behaving as your daughter states, then you do need to address concerns with the principal. If these behaviors are true, it will not be the first time the principal has heard this complaint. More parental complaints about inappropriate behavior provides the principals with data for acting. 5) As a last resort, you may need to push for your child to get a new teacher. Lastly, the accusations about the teacher may be exaggerated. You need to find out.

I think you will find the articles useful  at the URL below.

Ron

4
0
justice65
justice65 , Caregiver, Parent writes:
First find out if other parents had complaint about this particular teacher and what they had complaint about if they had go ahead and put another complaint (your complaint) in writing and safe a copy for you, make sure somone from the office signs it that they recieved it if they dont (follow with sending the same letter certified and safe your reciept ). If nothing still not done file a complaint with the Board Of Education in your state .By doing that you will make some noise to let them know that you are serious about your child getting the right treatment in school. Good Luck

3
0
nzkim
nzkim writes:
It is illegal to threaten anyone- including children- Do you want to live or die? Choke? It is not ok for children to say that to each other or to teachers. If that language was used to a police officer, they would be arrested.
Be firm. Let you child know that you support him/her and the behavior by the teacher is unacceptable and illegal.
Report it to the teacher, principal, and authorities. Teach children that this is not ok. Yes, the teacher will not be pleased, but they will be educated.

2
0
childrenfirst
childrenfirst writes:
I'm so sorry to hear of your child's situation at his school.  If his reports are correct, this is a form of verbal abuse (as well as bullying) by the teacher perhaps as a means of trying to control a classroom.  This is due to the teacher's learned behavior from childhood and lack of knowledge of behavioral management techniques which should have been mastered during her educational training.  Speak to the principal of the school, ask for the principal to spot check the classroom by dropping in unexpectedly on a regular basis, ask to have the child moved to a different class if possible, and if your concerns are not taken seriously or with respect, perhaps get a small tape recording device and carefully place it (sew it in somehow) in your child's pants pockets or pant leg and turn it on.  Listen to the recording.  There is your proof and let the principal listen to it.  A mother in Georgia did this w/ her autistic son whose behavior deteriorated after starting a new school year.  He was nonverbal.  She sewed the tape recorder into the inside back of his pull over sweatshirt.  When he came home that day she listened and was mortified.  With a lawyer in tow, and the media, the special education teacher was fired and many children were spared emotional (and physical) abuse.  That mom had a lot of courage.  Good luck and I hope your child has a teacher with the love and respect he serves.

3
0
thequestioneer
thequestion... writes:
thell the school district

0
1
I would volunteer and observe the teacher, and I would discuss this matter with them.  I would also speak with other parents to see if they are having similar problems.  If this can't be resolved, you can always request your child to be placed with another teacher.

As far as homework goes, I believe that homework is reinforcement for what was introduced in the classroom, it provides the student practice and gives you an opportunity to know what your child is studying and help with their studies.  So yes, I believe in homework.  Now, how much is too much?  I believe a child should read a minimum of 20 minutes most nights, most assignments do not take longer than 20 minutes to complete.  This gives an additional 20 minutes for you to cover material for a spelling test,etc.  1 hour a night is enough, holidays and weekend requirements should be different (we all need a break).

2
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
OMG!!  You gotta be kidding.  This is out of control.  
Take action.  We have someone with a serious problem and not worth trying to hel her or him here.   MOVE ON IT
Edie

0
0
BConway
BConway writes:
Bullies are created not born.  If your child's teacher is a bully the current laws have safe guards for your help.  The principal needs to be informed that the school is in breach of many anti-bullying laws.  As well as they need to send their teachers to behavioral classes.  There is also a fantastic book about how to speak with preschoolers out that you might want to give to your teacher and their principal.  Put out by Cognitively Correct Publishing.

1
0
lizziebell
lizziebell writes:
you should tell the princilpal

1
0
cmes
cmes writes:
With all due respect, if you have to ask such a question, what to do a if teacher scares your child with words? then I must question you as a parent. No teacher should ever use words to scare a child! You simply report the teacher's abuse ASAP because that's what it is, to the principle and Administration. I recall when I was in college (course major- elementary education) my professor told the class that if any teacher belittles, use disparaging or demeaning words to a child, that teacher should be fired on the spot and I wholeheartedly agree. I am in the middle of a situation at the where I work as a contract substitute teacher and co teacher with the head teacher. This teacher should be fired ASAP! She thrives on giving punishment for the slightest infraction. For example, she would attack a child about giving the wrong answer and take away recess for a week because she would say, you didn't study so no recess for you for a week.
These first graders are subjected to yelling, use of threats and bribery to get them to do what she demands of them. At least 2-3 children will be crying out of fear of this teacher before the end of the school day. My heart goes out to these poor defenseless children and something by law should be instituted to stop teachers who abuse students with verbal attacks.

1
1
Cherrypie13
Cherrypie13 writes:
This teacher is probably one of the teacher all students hate. Ask a few parents if their child complains about this teacher. Or you could just tell the principal. I think you should have a chat with this teacher and tell her your concerns.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Difficult teachers are difficult to deal with. When my children had such a teacher, I was very honest with them - I do not approve of teachers speaking to their students in such harsh ways and I told my children that. I told my children that sometimes - sadly - there are teachers who shouldn't be teachers.
Can you speak with other students' parents about this teacher? Can parents volunteer to come into the classroom and help? With everything that has happened in schools of late, any teacher should be VERY careful what they say to children about living and dying in school today. I would try to get another parent to go with me and sit down and explain to the teacher that after 'Sandy Hook' you're concerned that your children are taking such a remark very truthfully and are becoming afraid to go to school.
On your other questions - there are no laws in any state that deal with homework. Homework is often left up to each teacher to decide how much to give. As a teacher I came to believe that homework hurt more than it helped and that students were getting way too much of it. I think some teachers don't think about homework - they just give it without thinking about it or questioning whether they should give it or not.

0
0
MomSquadBaby
MomSquadBaby writes:
As a parent, this question is not even fit for debate. I would immediately report this teacher to legal and school system. I would remove my child from her classroom, even if that meant homeschooling until my child was in a safe environment. This teacher's behavior is frightening to ME, and I'm grown!

0
0