BillieMcClam
BillieMcClam asks:
Q:

Does anybody know the strategy of division called "multiples of 10 to learn to divide"?  

My child is starting division.  They want him to use a strategy of division called multiples of 10 to learn to divide.  I have tried to look at the problem and understand this concept, but have no clue.  Can somebody help?
In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:
Hi Billie,

Division using multiples of 10 is different than how most of us learned how to divide.  I found a teacher's presentation online that walks you through the steps, hope it helps!

http://mail.faribault.k12.mn.us/~Luke_Havumaki/Division/How%20to%20use%20the%20Multiples%20of%2010%20Division.ppt?FCItemID=S0063FDA2

0
0
Aoiffe2739
Aoiffe2739 writes:
The idea of multiple is what number can 10 go into without a remainder. That is easy. Ten ends in a zero. Thus 10 goes into numbers ending in zero. An example is 60. Ten ends in a zero; 60 ends in a zero. It will divide evenly. In school - long ago - division by zero was easy. When you cross off the zero you can see the answer. For example, if you divide 1700 by ten, cross off the zero in ten and the units  zero in  1700. Divide 2200 by 100. There are two zeros in 100 and two zeros in 2200.Division by 10, 100, 1000 is a matter of moving one place from right to left according to the number of  zeros.

0
0
jennymacia
jennymacia writes:
well you have to act like if lets say the number 60 is a multiple number you are not going to multiply the zero in the number with the another number.

1
2