casey4567
casey4567 asks:
Q:

Stressed out with bipolar daughter. What can we do?

My daughter that I had adopted when she was 7 is now 22, They diagnoise  her a mr but she is also psyhcotic don't wan't to be told any thing to do and no discipline at all. She is biracial but look totally white and she will say she hate us because we are black and telling her what to do. She keep saying she wan.t to go to a group home we feel very unease around her what can we do counseling haven't help her for the pass 12yrs,
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Special needs, Children and stress

|

Sorry to hear about your family situation.  Bipolar disorder puts stress on families and is never easy to deal with.  Counseling alone might not be an answer.  Your daughter might need a pharmacologic intervention.  Schedule her for an evaluation with a psychiatrist as soon as possible.  The quicker you get her help, the quicker the family life will become easier.

0
0

mumie0408
mumie0408 writes:
I have been living with Bipolar for over 15 years. It started for me when I was around 12 but wasn't medically diagnosed until I was 13. I am now 32. Looking back at when I was your daughter's age, I acted very similiar. Now that I have been properly medicated for several years, I wish that I had started and stayed on drug therapy sooner. Pharmacologic intervention is definitely the key, I feel, in such situations. Counseling without the proper meds simply isn't going to help. For me it's a combo of Lithium-a mood stabilizer (totally worth the side effects) and sometimes an antipsychotic like Seroquel. Lithium alone has made a dramatic improvement in how I feel about myself and others. It also has helped with the "bipolar rage". It may take time to find the right medication or combinations of meds, but of course she will have to stick with it as well. While I'm am not a fan of committing someone, if she has plans to hurt herself or others it may be necessary. While in treatment, she can be given a chance to see how meds make a difference. Right now she lacks the maturity to see how her behavior effects others and unfornately that is usually those closest to her. Also please be patient, she is hurting inside more than anyone realizes. I always hated myself for the way I acted and treated others, but yet couldn't stop myself, which just made things worse. I can only imagine what it is like to be on the other side of the rages, mania, and depression as the person who has everything taken out on them. Maybe if you are able to find a local support group or counselor who specializes in Bipolar disorder, you can attend a few meetings as parents and then maybe be able to later convince your daughter to attend. Good wishes to you all.

0
0
Anonymous