Lynnm-qc
Lynnm-qc asks:
Q:

What would be the best way to structure a confirmation ed. class (religious prep but short term) so that my Asperger syndrome 11yo son can participate

I and my husband are the teachers so we can structure it any way we choose, and it is a small class.  We have it in the afternoon once a week for six weeks.  We are on week 3, but the last class didn't go so well until he "got into it" and this class we had to cancel, his behaviour was so challenging (ie. refusing to sit up, whining, making noises etc).  We have said to him that he doesn't act this way at school why at home?  He has few behaviour challenges at school, I think partly because he is in the French (Canadian) system and it is highly structured.  He tells us he can get into "Vulcan Mode" at school - his way of saying he just does what he has to there.  But he says he doesn't know how to do this at home.  We have the class in the afternoon - he says he is tired and just can't stop himself from being upset.  This is a recent diagnosis for us - we just don't know how to help him.  But his spiritual formation is important to us.  By the way, we have little options for being the ones to teach the course, my husband is the minister.  Any suggestions you can give for structure, activities etc would be appreciated, or what to do when he gets upset.  Now we layer activities, short videos, discussion and snack/break time.  We give them 3 verbal warnings about behaviour at which time they lose snack time or free time at the end. Thanks, Lynn
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|