stebbinsd
stebbinsd asks:
Q:

Is a student jointly liable for a parent plus loan?

My mom just got approved for a parent plus loan for my undergraduate education.  This is a shocker to us; we were expecting her to get rejected so that I could be treated as an independent on my FAFSA.

Well, when I graduate, can my mom FORCE me to help her pay for it, provided that we have no other contract between the two of us?
In Topics: Financial planning for college

|
kbeardshear
kbeardshear , Parent writes:

This is a good question, and one I was curious about myself back when I was looking into financial aid for college. According to ParentPLUSLoan.com, a PLUS loan made to the parent can't be transferred to the student (or anyone else) at any time. If your mom does decide to take out the PLUS loan, repaying it will be her full responsibility.

I'm including a link to ParentPLUSLoan.com's FAQ page, as well as a link to studentaid.ed.gov's PLUS page so you can read up more about the loan.

1
0
MatthewSm
MatthewSm writes:
This is the way some responsible low income parents can afford to get their kids into programs where they have an excellent chance of making some good money in sure jobs. Some parents on this board have given their personal take on this, and I have to agree that to block these kinds of opportunities to responsible low income families and students is really a selfish stance to take. Would I vote to put in a program like this? No. But it's here and can serve as a benefit.

0
0