TEACHERMT2
TEACHERMT2 asks:
Q:

I have a student who cannot remember how many objects she has counted or what the number is being pointed to on a number line

I am a new resource teacher and I have a student who can count the objects, but cannot remember how many she has counted or what the number is being pointed to on a number line. ANY books out there or help for a student like that
In Topics: Helping my child with math, Learning disabilities

|

Since I don't know how old the student is and exactly what your role is in her education, I am not be answering your question directly.  So if I misunderstand, please re-post your question giving us a few more details.

If you have other students who are able to preform those tasks, then I recommend that you have this child tested.  If this student has already been tested and that's why you are working with her, then go back and look at the specific data and test results.  Determine exactly what her strengths and weakness are.

Ask other experienced teachers at your site what they would do.  The school reading or math coach might be a good starting place.  Also the ESE specialist probably has a wealth of knowledge and professional development materials you can look through.  Check out the local public library for additional resources, too.

Since we don't know the child, it might be best to work with someone locally.

Some titles for professional development can vary from age group to age group.  Instead I would suggest looking for articles and materials by well-known educators who have dedicated their lives to learning about how children learn.  Some of my personal favorites in the reading world are Richard Allington, Timothy Rasinski, Isabel Beck, Stephaine Harvey, and Ellin Keene.

Feel free to email me directly if you need more information or ideas.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0
Anonymous