GodsAngelonEarth
GodsAngelon... asks:
Q:

A student today threatened to bring a knife to school and stab my son, and the principal has not suspended the child yet.

Hello, I have a son who is 12 years old, he attends G.B. Little Public School in Scarborough. For the past 4 years my son has been an active member of the hullup program against bullying. Now my son is the one being threatened, and horrified. Today I went to my son's school to drop off some lunch to him, and as my son approached me, I heard a boy shout out, "My son's name, and call my son, a [bad name: question edited by Education.com Community Team]. My son wouldn't even look back, he kept his head held to the ground. I asked my son why this older boy is saying these things, my son replied he does this to me a lot and the other grade 7. I asked my son what does he do when this child does this, my son replies, he just ignores the kid, and he does it all the time. I asked the child when he was close to me and my son, has my son done anything to you, he shouts out to me " I don't give a [bad word: question edited by Education.com Community Team]." Then I said to the child not to speak to my son, and he told me that , he doesn't give a [bad word] about me or this school. I told the kid I will speak to the principal about this, and the child said in the school yard, I don't give [bad word] about you or the [bad names] principal. I went in the school told the principal, as I was leaving the school the same boy was waiting for me in the front school parking way, and yelled at me and my car. Then kids told my son the boy wants to come to school tomorrow and bring a knife and hurt my son. We are terrified, this child is out of control. I am not sending my son to school.
In Topics: School safety (not bullying), Bullying and teasing

|

This sounds like a very frustrating and scary situation for you and your son. The following are steps that are recommended when you have concerns about any bullying related situation that occurs within the school:

1.  Parents should contact the school and set up a meeting to share their concerns.

2.  Parents can file a formal written complaint to the school regarding their concerns—this should prompt a formal investigation.

3.  Parents can request that the school provide safety plan/support for their child --who is a "safe person" for them to talk, or someone that will be monitoring the situation on an ongoing basis.

4.  Parents should ask for a finding on the complaint so everyone is aware of efforts taken to address issue.  

5.  Every district has a superintendent and board of education that make decisions regarding issues that are not resolved; as a result parents should contact them with all unresolved issues.

6.  If you have worked with the schools and feel that there is still no resolution, you can contact your state's Dept of Education.

Then be sure to talk to your son about what is going on at school on a daily basis. It is difficult as a parent to hear that your child is experiencing this type of behavior from classmates.  Here are some general tips to helping your son in the future:

1. Understand/assess the level of bullying--how often, who is involved, etc.
2. Teach problem solving/assertiveness--how could they respond in the future?
3. Communicate openly with the intent to listen and understand, but not to "fix."
4. Help create a network of friends/support systems
5. Promote confidence and self esteem
6. Spend one-on-one time each day to provide support
7. Assess child's social skills/ability to control emotions
8. Get input from teachers on their observations

Hopefully you will be able to resolve this situation with the school and feel that it is a safe place for your son to be.

0
1

5. Promote confidence and self esteem

0
0
gmsthm
gmsthm writes:
In my experience, you must first notify your local law enforcement agency and file a police report, and at that point the police will see to it that the school powers that be respond appropriately to the situation. In short, the matter needs to be taken into your own hands and you have to show the school that you have no intention of allowing such things to just be ignored. I am raising my son in a bad area in Baltimore and they would routinely not even call me when such things happened to my son. UNTIL I arrived at the school one day with the cops and filed a report against the child in question and the school. Now when they see me walking up the sidewalk they scurry. As well they should.

0
0
gwerner4
gwerner4 writes:
I would immediately inform the local law enforcement AND the school. And I STILL probably would not send my kids to school the next day, or maybe longer. Be safe!

0
0
jennygunn11
jennygunn11 writes:
For your security you additionally need to report this to somebody with the most extreme mystery. Somebody your folks or somebody in the school, a direction advocate or bad habit or even an educator, somebody that knows some of his propensities. On the off chance that he truly has the yearnings to battle you would prefer not to be the first. Inquire as to whether he has a place with any outside games, that would discharge some of his developed furious sentiments. He could do it outside of class, not as a matter of course school started. Attempt to get a handle on some movement he may like and check whether you could urge him to join.

0
0
AlbertBarkley
AlbertBarkley writes:
This is awful news. You need to consult with local government committee of your town/city and complain there. According to latest news, president Barak Obama has banned all kind of weapons in the country.

1
0
niculasdutch
niculasdutch writes:
Not necessarily have to start at the beginning, most of the time the introduction part are written in the past, because after writing each part of the thesis that you can understand the concept and made it easier to write correctly in the past.

Today thesis writing has become the essential part of a degree. Students face this part of his academic life in order to get your higher education degree.

1
0
news24
news24 writes:
Hello dear, you must not ignore this and should take a necessary step against this. And start sending your child school because it could harm and stop the progress of your child.
One more thing for your child, tell him to download a game clash royale and also try to find free clash royale resources on the internet.

0
0
Writing_Help
Writing_Help writes:
This is very alarming. How hurt can a school going child be to an extent of carrying a weapon to school? The institution should put the safety of the students as their first priority and my recommendation would be counseling for the student taking the knife to school. This is very sad.

0
0
HenryWilson
HenryWilson writes:
This news is certainly distressing to hear. It is something that needs utmost attention. How come the school authorities didn’t take any active action towards the child who threatened you and your son. I have had heard the same incident happen somewhere in Australia, and the student was suspended at the spot. It’s incredibly scary and the principal of the school must’ve taken stringent action on this matter.

0
0
JoshBarett
JoshBarett writes:
Such a disturbing news. It’s very awful to hear that children at such a small age are forced into these kind of things. Childhood is a critical root, what they learn that this point of time is what they will indulge into. I am suspicious that the child must have been brought up in a very fragile condition.

0
0
smithjohn1
smithjohn1 writes:
Its really a bad news. Bringing Knife in the school that’s worst. It could harm to students present there and also spread the bad impact. But also we can’t suggest to suspend that student. If we do so it will leave negative impact on that student. According to me we should call there parents and ask reason that why their child does so. And also its school principle responsibility that what students are doing in school.

0
0