CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher asks:
Q:

Should students be allowed to bring laptops to school with social networking sites such as Myspace and Facebook being used every minute?

In Topics: Technology and my child

|

JeanneBrockmyer

Social networking sites definitely have a place for today's youth.  However, their use should not interfere with learning in school.  Laptops are also becoming more and more common in schools, and most likely their use will only increase.  
Unfortunately this may be one more task for teachers to take on: monitoring how laptops are used in the classroom.  Parents can help by encouraging their children to see the use of laptops in school as a privilege that should be respected and used appropriately.

1
0

RJhinnu
RJhinnu writes:
Hi CreativeRachna, I think that it depends on the grade or level of education that the student is at. For instance, I do not think that high school students or students in middle school should be allowed to bring laptops to school because, in my opinion, they will be using the laptop more for social networking than academics. I do think that college students should be allowed to bring laptops to class because they need it to take notes and use it for other academic work. I personally took my laptop to my classes in college so that I could take notes while the professor was lecturing. Typing my notes was faster than trying to write the notes out and it was easier to read than my own handwriting. Many college professors post their notes on powerpoint or online that students can download, so many students take their laptops to class so that they can have the professor’s notes downloaded and be able to refer to them while the professor is lecturing.

2
0
I think a laptop can be a useful tool in the learning process, particularly in middle and high school, and shouldn't be blamed for what can be found on the Internet. Monitoring Internet use, though, is very important both at home and school, and it is possible to block children from being able to access certain websites. In fact, many schools block access on their computer networks to social networking sites and websites that are inappropriate for children.

I've linked below two resources with expert insights on this topic, for both parents and educators to review.

1
0
VictoriaNicole
VictoriaNic... writes:
yess we should even though we miqht be on there all the time one daee we miqht have too do researhh

0
0
Aliechia
Aliechia , Parent writes:
Laptops are great tools for use in schools around the world provided that kids are given direction for what they are to be used for. Lots of schools these days are filtering social media sites to keep kids "on task". I would suggest inquiring with your school to find out if they are filtering any websites on their network so that you can make a better-informed decision on whether to send technology to school with your student.

0
0