CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher asks:
Q:

Should all students have free and accessible college career counseling? What about those students who do not have this assistance?  

Are there ways for these students to get the same kind of information? Are there books on this subject?
In Topics: Working with school administrators

|

As an experienced high school counselor, I would encourage you to talk with the school counselor and find out what resources are available in the school system. College and career counseling are critical in making decisions about the future. Students need to consider their interests, talents, strengths and weaknesses, as well as their expectations of the world of work. Many colleges also have licensed or certified counselors available, although this is not required. The resources at community colleges and state universities are available for residents.
I like to use Reality Check from the Texas Workforce Commission with my students. This website is a great tool for students to know how much is needed to be on their own.
0
0

hlevitan
hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Rachna,

I am glad you brought this up.  Professional guidance for career and college choice is unfortunately not open to all students.  Some high schools are privileged to have college and career centers, while others are not.  Some people pay for private college and career counseling, others receive it for free, and many do not receive it at all.  

If more students were exposed to college and career counseling, they would be more aware of their life choices. Many would also receive the push to go to college that they may not get elsewhere.  Furthermore, knowing the many types of colleges and career options available can greatly enhance students’ life choices.  Having equal access to college and career counseling would provide free knowledge of available life options - it can be a great equalizer.  

Here is an article database for the college search: http://www.education.com/topic/choosing-a-college/

America’s Career Resource Network provides information about many different types of professions.  You can find articles here: http://www.education.com/partner/articles/acrnetwork/

There are also several books available on the topic.  The Princeton Review provides information on college rankings and finding a school that is the best fit:
http://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings.aspx

Thanks again for bringing up this important issue.

Best,

Hayley

1
0
Naveen_K
Naveen_K , Teacher writes:
Well, I was really happy to see this question coming up..I have always emphasized that career counseling is really very important before your child just jump into any career that his or her friends are doing and later regret choosing that. Choosing a wrong career can cost you big time so better make wise decision and chose something that interest you and suit your strengths and weaknesses rather than following others. If you want to read more on this topic and want some tips then I will suggest this read:

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Yes all students certainly should have free college and career counseling and it's the job of high schools to provide the counseling. Perhaps in very large high schools, counselors get overburdened but regardless - every high school student is entitled to meet with the college/career counselors in their school.

That said, I found that it was helpful to do a lot of reading on the subject myself. There are many books on the subject!

0
0