Q:

How can I make my students remember materials learned?

"Please, I am a teacher in one of the senior high schools in my country, and I would like to find out how I can make my students remember materials learned? Help me on this. Thanks."
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning styles and differences

|

Hello!

There are many wonderful ways to help older students to recall information.  Here are a few ideas.

1.  First use mnemonics which is memory tool.  This means you pair what you have taught with something that will help your students to remember.  Here in the U.S. we have a phrase for remember a special grammar rule.  For example, perhaps you are trying to teach a lesson about how to spell the word NIECE in English.  You can teach the class the mnemonic phrase, " The letter I before E, except after C"  

2.  Have students use multimodal forms for learning.  Perhaps if they are studying a country they can read about it, learn about the geography  (draw a map),  download or look for photos that show the country, cook some foods that are part of the culture of the country, and perhaps even write to other students in this country.  Math skills even can be used to determine the cost of an item in your country and then in the other country.  Compare the two and discuss perhaps why there might be a difference with cost.  From one concept you can make many lessons that are fun and "interactive"  (where students can get very involved through discussion, reading, drawings, listening,  etc.)

3.  Have speakers come to talk to your class and make a lesson seem more alive.  This is especially true for language  and history classes.  

The more that you make your lesson seem interesting and both auditory and visual the more likely a student will remember.

Owner of SIGNING FAMILIES
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

2
0

lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
What has helped my kids with recall is to make the lessons interesting, connect dry factoids to emotions (e.g., historic re-enactments), have students reflect and synthesize what they've learned and feed it back to the class through their own "teaching", keep lessons short (10 min) before changing things up, get students up and moving around to stimulate blood flow to the brain, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

I learned all these things in ed classes, but it's easy to forget them from time to time.  So I frequently referred to Teachley's Amazing Talking Brain as I prepared my lessons.  Donna Sawyer has lots of great tips there and links to more great stuff on how to get your kids' synapses firing:

http://www.ncwiseowl.org/kscope/TeacherHut/Teachley/index.html#

3
0