KBarron
KBarron asks:
Q:

Have any of you successfully requested (demanded) that your child get moved to the next grade mid-year?

My son was born 4 days after the C.A. required enrollment date (6 years old on Dec). He has attended part time gifted pre-school and pre-kindergarten programs since the aged of 2.5 years.

He commenced Kindergarten just over two weeks ago and from this second day of attendance; his teacher has given him the role of her school assistant. The other children in his class look up to him as a older child and they are currently learning from him; socially and academically.

We have a parents conference in October where we intend to request (demand) he is moved into first grade.

Have any parents also completed this process; any advice is helpful to assist me on his parents evening and how to approach his teacher.
In Topics: My gifted child

|

Hi KBarron - I'd save this kind of conversation for a one on one chat outside of school hours rather than at back to school night.  In my experience, back to school night is a bit chaotic and his teacher probably won't be able to give you much of her undivided attention.  

Also, if you're going to try to make a change, you may not want to wait until October when most of the "settling in" time is done and kids are getting pretty set in their friendships.

Also, your school may not legally be able to grant your request.  I know many states have laws that say students have to wait until second grade to move up a grade if they were born after the cutoff date.

Obviously, you know what's best for your son, but I'd try to go into the conversation with your son's teacher with a very open mind.  While he's obviously doing really well, there may be areas that can still use development so spending time in kindergarten may be really beneficial to him.  Plus it can do a lot for kids' confidence to be considered a leader among their peers.  As I'm sure you know, lots of parents actually keep their kids out of kindergarten (even if they're born before the cutoff date) with the hope that their kids will end up being in exactly the situation your son is in now.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Education.com Community Team

1
0