Q:

Have suggestions for 3rd grade poetry lessons/graphic organizers?

Above question asked by a teacher ("Sandy") after reviewing the Education.com Activity, "Write a List Poem" http://www.education.com/activity/article/list-...
In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Creative arts

|

Candace_Lindemann

Hi, Sandy,

How fun!  There are tons of activities surrounding poetry appreciation and writing.  Were you planning to focus on any particular aspect of poetry with your class?  And are you only interested in graphic organizers?

Here are a few ideas and if I miss the mark, please provide additional information and I'll check back and revise my answer.

My preference is generally for approaching poetry with young children in a more free manner.  I would either bring a poem to the class and/or ask each child to find a poem he or she likes.  We would have a shared reading.  Then, I would ask a volunteer to bring our attention to a line he or she found particularly beautiful/interesting/confusing/troubling.  And then we would discuss that line.  We would do this several times.  Following that I might introduce an activity where the students could illustrate the emotions evoked by the poem.  Finally, I would encourage them to write their own poetry using perhaps a similar style or inspiration as the example poem.

If you wish to use graphic organizers, a very simple graphic organizer is a table.  In each row, you could have a theme of the poem and then in the columns students can fill in any metaphor/simile, imagery, or words and phrases that connect to that theme.

One graphic organizer you could use with poetry is a concept web with a theme of the poem in the center.  Branching off from that theme can be examples of how the author uses imagery, setting, mood, metaphor/simile, etc. to

Students sometimes need a foundation when writing their own poems.  They may enjoy creating "found word" poems, in which they arrange words to form the lines of the poem, like the popular refrigerator magnet poetry game. Another possibility is an acrostic, in which the first letter of each line forms a word that runs vertically down the page.  Some students may also enjoy writing a poem inspired by a piece of music or artwork.

I've included some links below with plenty of ideas for analyzing and writing poetry with kids.

To me, the essential idea is that learning about poetry should be fun. Children naturally enjoy the rhythms and rhymes of poetry and poetry can open up an entire world of expression.  Poetry can be taught in a very authentic way, drawing upon the students' interests and experiences.  In this way, children develop a lifelong appreciation for poetry.

---
Candace Lindemann, Ed.M. - JustAsk Expert
Educational Consultant and Writer
http://CandaceLindemann.com
4
0

lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
ReadWriteThink is an excellent site with many online graphic organizers for different types of peoms, including shape, acrostic, letter, and diamante.  Each interactive has accompanying lessons and suggestions for using it in the classroom.

Scholastic also has many lesson ideas and a "Poetry Idea Engine" to help guide kids in writing limerick, haiku, cinquain or free verse poems.  They also give kids the opportunity to publish their work on the Scholastic site.

I've described these and many others, with links to each of the sites on:

http://www.squidoo.com/k12interactivepoetry

3
0
Anonymous