psk72
psk72 asks:
Q:

Any suggestions for how to help my 9 year old do better at school?  He's intelligent but lazy.

My 9 year old son is intelligent and loves to read. The problem is performing in class - He does not focus, hates to write and wants to do the least possible work. For example is he has to write a paragraph, he tends to write 2 sentences when he should be writing 5. In math he gets the answes right but does not explain how he arrived at the answer. I hate to say this but he is really lazy about his school work and I need to do something to help him improve. I have tried talking to him, motivation through awards, punishments (grounding for bad work) but nothing is helping. Any suggestions?
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

Try having him work with a peer tutor--some one close to his age in late middle school or high school who can help/teach him what he needs to learn about homework and school work.  This can be very effective in motivating young people. Ask your neighbors and teachers if there is some one they recommend.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP
expert panelist:  pediatrics

1
1

lennoxlady
lennoxlady writes:
your letter could have been written by me i am being called in on a weekly basis about his laziness as he is also becoming disruptive i am finding the teacher very unsupportive and the situation is now causing problems at home. We to have tried everything we can think of but nothing works. I know my son is unhappy in his  new class but the school refuse to change it,we never had these problems in year 4. We are really worried about the future and the long term effect this will have on our sons attitude to education.

1
0