suesal
suesal asks:
Q:

Suggestions for helping my daughter remember math facts?

My daughter is in second grade and they are doing 2 1/2 min timed tests.  She does fine with the easy ones, i.e. 2+1,3+2....However, when she gets into the higher numbers, she can figure out the answers correctly, but it just takes her a little longer.  And I don't know how to get her to understand and remember that if she just answered 8+9=17, that 9+8=17, even if it is two questions later.  I remember seeing a mnemonics tape years ago, but haven't been able to find it.  She can finish all the problems w/ the right answers, but it takes longer than the time allotted.  And what are we going to do when she has to do subtraction in a few weeks???  Does anyone have any suggestions????
In Topics: Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!), Helping my child with math

|
aMomNteacher
aMomNteacher writes:
There are certain students that can't learn math by memorizing math facts.  There are several tricks you can use.  Touch math for +1 to +4. (www.touchmath.com)  Teach her the doubles 5+5, 6+6, etc as you are in the car -- say them over and over together when you are driving places.  Then use the doubles to learn the other related math facts, if 4+4=8, then 5+4 is one more or 9.  To deal with the 8+9=17 problem, teach her the idea of a math triangle.  Magic nine for subtracting nines is great. (check out www.teachallkids.com for more teaching ideas)  It is great that you have started working on this now -- I often see students in grade 4 and 5 that are still struggling with math.

1
1
eezaah
eezaah writes:
Ms. Suesal, I find your situation a little bit difficult since I am not yet in the parenthood stage. I'm a college student taking up Education specializing Mathematics.Well, regarding to what you can do about your daughter's difficulty in remembering math facts I may suggest a traditional way. You can use flashcards to help your daughter. It is effective since learners are visual learners. They learn more by using their senses. You can also do some practice drill repeating the questions. Here's a site where you can find some resources. www.studysphere.com.
I hope I helped you. Thank You.

0
0
dariaaj
dariaaj writes:
One thing you could do is practice, practice, practice with her--to make it less painful I recommend a gaming format like a reflexmath subscription or an android/ios app like math ops with the penguins of Madagascar.

For my part, I truly hate this timed test taking crap, it prepares kids for standardized tests not real life and I was able to talk to the teacher and have my daughter exempted from them--this was after she was able to prove she could do the calculations easily without the time pressure adding undue stress. I realize that isn't an option for everyone (my child goes to a private school).

0
0
championbelievers
championbel... writes:
just make a time management in answering the problem in subtraction.

0
0
Show me another question in this topic