MELISSAV6
MELISSAV6 asks:
Q:

can I get some suggestions on a schedule I can start at home that may be similar to the 1st grade outline.

In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|
schwartztodd
schwartztodd , Parent writes:
Hi Melissa,

While I couldn't find an example of a schedule for you to begin at home, I was able to find some interesting articles that might prove helpful in developing one.  

First is Education.com's Guide to First Grade.  The entire section is devoted to helping set expectations for parents of First Graders who want to ensure their children are prepared.  This section includes topics such as "First Grade Science - What Happens, First Grade Math, What Happens and First Grade Writing, What Happens.  I've include links below for your review.  

Other areas addressed in the guide cover milestones related to academic, social and emotional issues faced by First Graders.  Here's an additional article on First Grade speech development below as an example of what you'll find.  
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/First_Grade_Speech_Development/

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck, Best, Todd

1
0
mayfieldga
mayfieldga , Teacher writes:
I would love for parents to use their time to put students more at ease for learning and enjoy the learning process. I feel many parents have "more time for individual attention" than many teachers.  This can be used to help break down or use a task analysis to create steps in learning.  I feel the rush to teach things in the classroom may leave out many steps and hurt both learning and motivation to learn.

I feel all educated adults can use their knowledge and skills to, once finding out what their child is learning, begin breaking down that learning into more ease of workable steps to help their children learn more easily and with more enjoyment.

There is so much we can teach from home, especially the art of changing gears and going more slowly at first when approaching new mental work or academics.  This is something we can teach at home to help build reflection time and learn skills more independently on their own.  I feel in too many cases the rush to teach many things may hurt the very long-term independent learning so vitally important for real advancement in school over time.

0
0