Q:

Suzanne asks: What kind of art do you think excites special ed. children who read poorly and have very small vocabularies and attention spans?

"I was looking for articles to put in a project note book for my Teaching and  Visual Art. This article {link below} reads simply and gives me more confidence. Knowing what can be expected is a never ending research project of its own. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and knowledge. What kind of art do you think excites special ed. children (high level) who read poorly and have very small vocabularies and attention spans?"

Above question asked by an Education.com visitor after reading the article, "Art Milestones: What's Typical at Each Stage of Life":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Ar...  
In Topics: School and Academics, Creative arts, Special education

|
PaulaE.
PaulaE. writes:
I like The Meet The Masters art program I have used through public school. It gives three levels of projects for each famous artist.  It is expensive but you can do similar things on your own if you are inclined. They do have nice materials available through their site.
Most kids are very responsive to watercolors.  You have them use only two or three colors at a time. Using such materials as coffee filters or paper towels instead of paper make it fascinating.  They an see how the colors spread on dry and then compare to how it spreads damp paper.  They can tell a story about it when through.  You can trim their creations to show the best part of the painting.

1
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
They love cartoon art with fast, creative graphics of characters. Characters moving around, shooting each other, flying, fighting the bad guys, etc.  You could maybe have the children design a comic book to a theme you chose.  They could design the pictures and the text.  Sounds like fun to me!

0
0
I saw this science lab center on education.com (1st link) and loved it.  

I think a similar center that includes an easel, paper rolls, washable paints, various brushes, sponges, markers, crayons, pencils, scrap construction paper, etc. would make a wonderful addition to the science lab center.

Also, maybe throw some cozy floor pillows down and provide various books include a word wall and phonics board, maybe some puzzles, playdough and building blocks.  Maybe include a dry erase board with markers and have a word of the day or word of the week, provide dictionaries, paper and pencils.

Hope these ideas will be helpful!  Best Wishes!

0
0
karven
karven writes:
I think the toy is a good thing, because when small children are like toys, and from which many adults do not have to learn to teach their knowledge. In particular, this type of toy: http://www.toyswill.com/jenga-building-blocks-wooden-big-size-interactive-puzzle-toys-p-1861.html, it can stimulate the creation of a child's capacity.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
I don't think a child's vocabulary or their reading level has to impact negatively on a child's performance in art class. A short attention span can be a challenge for a child in any class including art.
Fingerpainting works well - it's messy but they enjoy it. Scuplting with clay works well - it's messy too but they enjoy it. Showing them some quick examples of simple sculptures before they start is helpful. Having them draw with fabric crayons on fabric squares and then binding them into a quilt is great. If you have to - pictures in a coloring book - they can color those pictures with crayons or markers. Sometimes children with short attention spans do better when given a lined picture to color than having them work free hand. They benefit from the structure.
Making cards - cutting out simple designs and gluing the designs onto a card. You can make cards for anybody - there are even organizations out there that ask for cards - cards for soldiers overseas for one.

0
0
Anonymous