Roun
Roun asks:
Q:

taking sweets and hiding so that i cant see him eating it

Leam might be ADD he is 4 years old so I'm trying to take all the sugar stuff. but the other day i was busy drying my hair and there was a chocolate my hubby put on the table so he help himself. when i confronted him about it he said it wasn't him. then the next morning the same routine happens and daddy put a nice jelly sweet in for him for after care and when i was looking for him he was outside eating the sweet around the corner and when i called him he left it there and told me he wasn't doing anything. so i don't want the sweet to be a bad thing. the other day in the doc's office he took my gum and put it in the dustbin and told me it's bad for me. so he knows whats going on but i don't want him to do things behind my back, he must ask. What would be the best thing to do if something like that happens again?
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Habits are hard to break at any age.  So, if your child was accustomed to sweets and then has few to none he may be seeking them out! Because he is being told they are bad for him, he has generalized that to all sweets (or what he perceives as treats, hence your gum).

Consider letting him have healthy alternatives that are like sweets, such as naturally sweetened snacks.  Keep in mind that many children are influenced by packaging, so a fun packaged snack may seem very appealing!

1
0

chrash3
chrash3 writes:
I have a 4 year old grandson who is a lover of sweets of any kind. I have caught him in my pantry eating my baking chocolate. I've explained to him how disappointed I was in his behavior. I helped him understand that if he does not ask for something and takes it, that's stealing and stealing is wrong. He began to cry and said how he really wanted the chocolate. I held him in my arms and assured him I was rejecting him but I was rejecting his sneaking and hiding because he took something he know he shouldn't have. We made a deal that if he did better then we will set aside some time to make something sweet together. He was delighted. Maybe helping your son understand that he must ask and not just take, it will teach how to separate his actions from the object he wishes to have. Show he that the sweets are not bad (in moderation of course) but taking them without asking is wrong. Good luck.

0
0
Junibear13
Junibear13 writes:
he is a child he will try to get to sweets!

0
0