linzjo
linzjo asks:
Q:

To switch teachers or not.  I knew it from the beginning, my son and his teachers aren't a good fit.  What do I do?

My son is only into school 2 days.  His teacher isn't what he needs.  I knew it the first time I met her.  And subsequent visits have all led me to the same conclusion.  My son and his teacher are a horrible fit.  
His friend who is very similar in social and academic behavior, had a horrible year with this same teacher previously.
I understand switching teachers is not usually done.  However, I am my sons only advocate.  It's unrealistic for us to try and "work it out" the entire year.  When if a teacher change can be made now, early on, can prevent a miserable and frustrating year for both my son, me and the teacher.
I have to do what's best for my son.  Please help me figure out what that is!  Thanks!  
In Topics: School and Academics, Back to school, Working with school administrators

|
emmarand73
emmarand73 writes:
I think it depends a great deal on the age of your child.  I think a negative experience in the first few years of school can color the way they look at school in general.  That being said, our children have to learn to deal with and get along with people of all personalities.  It is a skill that too few adults seem to have and will only benefit them in the long run.  If you're unable to get him switched to another class, perhaps you could use it as an opportunity to help him learn how to manage a working relationship with someone with whom they don't necessarily jibe.

1
0
PaulaBeckerman
PaulaBecker... writes:
If your instincts are telling you that this is not the right fit, then you are quite right to advocate for your son, and try to fix the situation.  I recommend contacting the school office, and making an appointment with the principal to discuss the options.  Share your concerns, and ask for a transfer to another class.  Good luck!

1
0
Anonymous