pleasantlyblue77
pleasantlyb... asks:
Q:

How can I talk to my son that hates his school?

My son is 14 and he hates the school he is currently attending. He is a good kid not a troublemaker. He always feels that all the teachers and staff hate him and have it out for him. I also attended this school in grade school and I hated it too. My parents were able to transfer myself and my brother then but now because we pay our taxes to this school so we have no where else to go. It really upsets me to see and hear my son so unhappy and i feel this is holding him back from doing better and willing to try new things. I have tried to talk to the principal and I have had several conversations with the school and it gets me nowhere. I just want to get him out of there but no one will listen.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Self esteem and identity

|

I am hearing that you empathize with your son about not liking the school. The most important task for you is to listen to your son and help him to decide how to make the best of the situation. How he views the school is the challenge-- Is the glass half full or half empty. What can he do to feel better about himself and the school?

1) "All the teachers nod staff hate him and have it out for him"
Has there been a time when a teacher or staff member showed hi that he or she cared about him? What was he doing at that time?

2) On a scale of one to ten, how does he feel he does in each class? He may have a class that is 5 or higher. what is he doing in that class that is a 5? What would he have to do to be a six?

Talk to the school counselor and see if he or she can help your son. Encourage your son to participate in a club, team, activity at school.

0
0

stormygemini
stormygemini writes:
I am having the same issue with my son, who is 13 yrs old.  Your story is almost identical to mine.  I have been trying for weeks to get him transfered but no other schools in my area will accept a transfer.  I am now researching and considering homeschooling.  The thought of being responsible for his education scares me but having to send him away every morning in tears is even worse.

0
0
Anonymous