shupesabrina
shupesabrina asks:
Q:

How do I teach my 1 year old not to get into everything?

I have a one year old son, who loves to get into everything. What can I do to teach him that certian things are not meant to be messed with with out yealling at him or so called spanking him I wsh to do this in a way that will not scar him emotionally

|

L Compian's advice is right on target!!  In addition to firmly and lovingly redirecting your child to something else to play with, you can use the verbal queue of "no."  It's ok to say "no" firmly as you are redirecting them.  Unfortunately you are dealing with an age in which exploration is expected.  It will take some perserverance and repititon on your part, so hang in there!!  Eventually they will learn what they can and cannot have access to.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

lkauffman writes:
Although it is a joyous time when children progress from crawling to walking, it can also be frustrating as their speed and ability to get into everything dramatically increases! Faster than the speed of light, these little scientists are busy exploring their world through their senses. I imagine that you have already baby-proofed your living areas, but this is often little defense against a motivated child. When your child is investigating something that is not appropriate for them, firmly and lovingly redirect them to another interesting age-appropriate toy or item. This may involve physically moving your child to another part of the room where their toys are.

One of the greatest thinkers of our time, Jean Piaget suggested that children develop the ability to "remember" that an object exists once it is out of their physical site at the end of their second year. Thus, in theory, your child at one year of age will be easily distracted and will "forget" that the tempting forbidden item exists. However, research has shown that children as young as 3.5 months seem to have the capacity to remember objects out of site. Regardless of the reality, many children appear to be easily distracted by new items when redirected. This should help you in some instances, at least!

Counseling Psychologist

0
0
binita
binita writes:
i guess every child do that. babbies (at that age) cannot speak but still want to know everything. so they try to touch what ever they can see. hold it and they smell that things.probably put the small things in to mouth.it's baby's nature. but what as a parent we did start to set a discipline.whenever he tried to mess with the things. i used to say''NO.......NO....NO..'' after 10-15 days he understood ,he was still touching but before he touch anything he used to look at me.as he knew that i would say''no.no.no.....''.

good luck

1
0