dollybu
dollybu asks:
Q:

Please help me teach my 10-year old son how to ride a bike.

He's a little overweight & needs to work on core strength as well.  We've tried over the years to try and teach him, but he keeps getting frustrated from falling, and ultimately quits trying ... no matter how many incentives we give, or how much we encourage him.  He really wants to learn, but the older he gets, the more afraid of falling he becomes.  Thank you for any advice you can give!!
In Topics: Exercise and fitness

|

eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
Hello Dolly,
1. Make sure that he has the right size bike for his height. (Most kids in his age would ride a 16" or 20" size wheels)
2. Get him set of elbow and knee pads so falling won't be as bad.

I recommend to put him on a balance bike. You can actually convert a regular bike into a balance bike in 10-20 minutes by removing the drivetrain (pedals, chain and crank arms) Your local bike shop will do it in minutes and probably inexpensively.

Best place to practice balance bike is a slight slope where your kid can roll downhill. The objective is to get the hang of balancing before adding the pedaling action. This shouldn't take him very long and will be fun too (My son had a blast on his balance bike)

Then when he feels comfortable with the balance put the drivetrain back on the bike and practice the pedaling. In this stage something like a "bike trainer handle" is a nice accessory to have, but not necessary

http://www.amazon.com/Bike-GEEal96089-Trainer-Handle/dp/B002WBWBQQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1266345274&sr=8-2

You can either buy a handle on Amazon, or make one your self.

Please post back if this advise worked for you or not or if you have follow up questions. Good luck!

1
0