yaoxie9999
yaoxie9999 asks:
Q:

How to teach kids who do not hand-write well?

I came across a high school student who does not hand-write well, usually I can recognize only partially what he has written down. So I allow him to use the computer to type, yet using the computer allows access to online dictionary, which is not desirable when giving a test. What is your experience helping such kids?

Your tips will be highly appreciated!
In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
rhchui
rhchui writes:
Say find out what the child like, then design or find something online for such students with special needs. You could help them learn through visuals, do some match-up activities in class: pin up some pictures on the wall and ask them to match the words they have in their hands with those pictures on the wall.

So long they could recognize the words, they learn; and the matching up with relevant pictures means that they've got the concepts and have internalized to a certain extent.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Thank you for allowing this student to use the computer! It must be very frustrating for a high schooler to have trouble writing. Is he dyslexic or dysgraphia? Often by this age poor handwriting is due to weaknesses in spelling, thought organization, reading, or putting it all together rather than fine motor skills unless there is specific motor involvement. If he has not been tested to see why the writing is so bad, now would be a good time to do so.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Some people go through their entire lives with very poor handwriting. Many people with poor handwriting or those who write slowly and laboriously do have underlying learning differences.

I let students use the computer to write. The world is moving steadily away from handwriting. You can break off the computer's Internet access to prevent him from using the online dictionary. Take the computer offline and allow him to use the computer for typing.

1
0
DaniRren
DaniRren writes:
The best that you can do for the student is to get him to practice on his handwriting since this is the only way it will improve. You need to have him doing many activities so that he can perfect the art. I can’t think of any other way. http://educationalplay.info

Regards
Dani Rren

0
0
deenamathew
deenamathew writes:
Make them to write the cursive writing book which has the sentences in the book. By doing this on daily basis he improve his writing.

0
0
deenamathew
deenamathew writes:
Since most schools moved away from teaching proper cursive writing in favour of print or a semi-linked script style, there has been less emphasis on teaching handwriting technique. Consequently, many children hold their pens in an awkward manner which in turn forces them to use a technique  finger-writing

Ideally, your child should be sitting upright, not hunched over the paper. The hand should be holding the pencil at an angle of about 60 degrees and using a 3 finger grip, 2-3cm from the tip. Discourage the use of biros to start with because young children’s hands are still too small to hold a biro at the correct angle.

0
0
AliciaSa
AliciaSa writes:
Hmm…I know that kids love everything that happens in a form of game. Based on this, I assume, you could figure something out. But honestly, I would recommend turning to qualified people for advice. And, by qualified people, I mean teachers of primary school. I am sure that they have their blogs or possibly even forums where they can share their knowledge. At least this is what I would do if I had same issue. Good luck!

0
0