RachelleReynolds
RachelleRey... asks:
Q:

How to teach proper cursive writting

In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
lynellen
lynellen writes:
It will be important to follow your school's curriculum if you are teaching your own child.  Generally cursive is taught more easily if it is taught according to groups of letters rather than in the alphabet sequence.  If taught in this manner, there are only four groups of letters based on similar strokes: Based on Loops and Other Groups by Mary Benbow:
c,a,d,g, q,o
e,l,f,h,b,k,
i,t,u,w,j,p,y,r,s
m,n,v,x,z
Practice writing the letters very large first as we have better motor memory in our larger muscles and joints.  Then when the child is confident with the movements, write on paper.

2
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello- You  may find cursive writing exercises on abcteach.com

1
0
Hi Rachelle,

Additionally, Education.com has cursive printables coming out of our ears :)

We've recently created a bunch of slideshows that have cursive printables A-Z (a separate worksheet for each letter). I've linked to them below.

Alex

0
0
I have a difficult time teaching cursive writing due to the fact that my handwriting is unique.  As I have explained to my kids and to those I've tutored, that when you are first learning to cursive, you will need to learn the "proper" way based on what the school identifies as "proper" after you have mastered the basic writing ability and are in older grades you are able to express yourself through your own unique style.  This of course, being the case IF you write neat and legible.

Handwriting is one thing I consider personal that identifies YOU and by having developed your own unique style makes it quiet simple to distinguish one writer from another (such as your signature).  

Below is a link to a site with the proper chart for learning cursive and it has great printouts to trace and practice.  These are the worksheets that my kids and local students use.

0
0