momderaulito
momderaulito asks:
Q:

What do I need to teach my son to be ready for 4th grade in the United States?

We currently live outside of the United States, my son is currently in 3rd grade, he is fluent in the English language. However he has gone to school from the beginning in another country, I just want to make sure that aside from the basic history, geography, English grammar he will adjust well. Aside from that he pretty much knows the basic information, he can read and write in English fluently. He is very smart and learns fast, but I am nervous that he could be held back if he is not prepared. If you could give me any advice that would help me get my son ready for fourth grade in the United States I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to be able to prepare my son for what he made need to know by fourth grade or be ready for what he will learn in fourth grade. He is ahead of his class now, the teachers wanted us to skip him a grade but we felt that he was still too small to be skipping grades at a young age. Any help or advice that you may be able to offer me or refer us too I would be so thankful.

|

Fourth grade curriculum varies from state to state. Education.com provides a helpful template for preparing your son for education in the U.S. You probably need to research the schools in the area in which you plan to reside.

Bring a portfolio of work samples with you when you move so that the school officials can evaluate the appropraite placement for your child. If you have any standardized assessments that would also be helpful. Contact the school prior to enrollment and ask what the requirements are for 4th grade.

1
0

jclouti2
jclouti2 writes:
I live in Florida and I look up Floridas sunshine state standards.  Every state has their own state standards. Google "_____ state standards".  Those standards will tell you EVERYTHING your child will need to know in each grade level.

1
0