Tyia
Tyia asks:
Q:

How to teach young children to spell their names

In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
gabbyjones
gabbyjones writes:
I have 8 children, all with long difficult names. Each has their own song. Like... There is a little girl, her name's Kayyisa, K- A-Y- Y- I- S- A She likes to dance and draw and sing, K-A-Y-Y-I-S-A........

Create your own melody and have fun!

2
0
msltate
msltate writes:
I say start off with teaching your child letters.  Along with the letters, you can also print the names of family members & expose your child to them often (ie: that says "Daddy," "Mommy," "Auntie Sarah"). Include your child's name in this list. Depending on your child's age & previous exposure to words, this may take some time.  As your child is learning to call the names of family members & letters based on sight, you can introduce your child to the letters in his/her name specifically.  Have your child repeat the letters after you. Do this often & soon enough your child will begin to spell his/her name.

2
0
bbiasutti
bbiasutti writes:
Well think about it like they do,  they see and copy others, so how about placing their name on the dinner place mat, l have placed my daughters name on the dinner place mat  and told her this is your place at the table.  Within 4 weeks by natural curiousity she has taken it upon herself to spell her name and write it as well. My daughter is 4 yrs old and l can't wait for her to start school as she is eager to learn and has such an open mind to everything around her.
good luck with this approach also l have been showing her the alphabet
blocks as well she has a special liking for the letters that spells out her name now :)

0
0
lizziebell
lizziebell writes:
use shaving creme

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
It would be helful to know how old the children are.  If very young, playing with foam letters, magnetic letters, wooden letters, etc. would be a fun activity to introduce letters.  You could write out the child's name and have them place the correct letters on the name plate you made.  Writing the letters takes developmental growth.  Diagonal perception for letters such as M, N, does not develop until between 4 and 5 years of age.  So MAX may need to be older to make letters in his name the correct way.  Handwriting Without Tears has a great preschool writing program.  Check it out.  There are developmental information for writing at www.lynslines.com or a helpful free downloadable brochure called "Is Your Child Ready To Write" at www.lynaot.com

1
0