Q:

Is there a way to get a teacher certified in Wilson method or get my son excused for Masonic Temple tutoring?

Asked by Susan via Contact Us:
My son was found to have a learning disability at the beginning of 2nd grade. Has problems with spelling, comprehension, word retrieval, reading fluency, and a few other reading related problems. I think he is dyslexic, school never specified. So he went to tutoring everyday and language therapy 1-2Xs a week. None of this seemed to help him improve in reading. At the beginning of 3rd grade his tutor was getting certified in Wilson and asked if my son could be her student she worked with for the certification. I said sure. In the fall of his 3rd grade yr they took the OATS test and he scored below proficient. The tutor worked with him the whole year on Wilson and in the spring they retook the OATS and he scored in advanced level in reading.
He has started the 4th grade and his tutor says will not use the Wilson until she gets to know my son better and may not use it at all. Not happy about this! I find out that Masonic Temple has opening for him in September and may have to be 3:00 slot, which means I would have to take him out of school early 2 days a week 2:40 and doesn't get out till 3:15. The principal says she can not excuse this this will be counted against him all year. Is there any way they have to certify a tutor for 4th in Wilson or excuse my son for the Masonic Temple?
In Topics: Learning styles and differences, My Relationship with my child's school, Learning disabilities

|

ChildSpeechLanguage
ChildSpeech... , Child Professional writes:
It appears that your question is specifically related to the school's policy.  As such, it may be a good idea to schedule a meeting with your child's principal, and explaining in detail the situation to see if your child may be excused from school.

1
0
Anonymous