momof2monkeys
momof2monkeys asks:
Q:

Teacher made child stand up in front of class and read letter about her behavior the previous day, then had class vote if she was lying.

My daughter came home in tears. The day before her class had a substitute and apparently they did not behave very well (1st grade). The teacher returned today and was extremely upset. She revoked a number of privileges, scolded the kids and then the kids were told to write a letter. She said they wouldn’t get in trouble, but truthfully tell what had happened the day before. My daughter wrote that she raised her hand every time she knew the answer and tried her best to be good. The teacher then had the kids come up one at a time and read their letter to the class. Many apologized, to which she responded “I do not accept your apology”. When my daughter read hers, she had the class vote on if she was lying, they all voted she was. My daughter was absolutely devastated and humiliated. I understand what the teacher was trying to accomplish, and I am not claiming my daughter is an angel, but I feel this was over the top. She loved this teacher up until now and this has really hurt her. She just kept crying that she did understand why? I have spoken with the teacher through e-mails and asked she not use this method again with my child and she said it is a good tool to teach accountability and she will use it again if she sees fit. I asked what the behavior was that she was supposed to be accountable for, and she does not provide any. My daughter is talkative and fidgety, and I am sure this is why she is not believed. She insists she did not do anything wrong that she can remem
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

The disciplinary method you describe is based on ridicule and bullying. This is not appropriate for students (at any age). The teacher may have used this method prior to this incident, but needs to consider the harmful effects of her strategy.

Having students write a letter to the teacher about the previous day's behavior is fine. That's where it should have ended. The teacher would then say to the group," I expect better behavior from this class. I am embarrassed and sad that you were not behaving with the substitute."

Asking students to apologize and then not accepting their apologies is not beneficial to the students. Having her classmates vote on the truthfulness of her letter crosses the line into bullying behavior. The teacher humiliates your daughter when she asked the other children to vote on the truthfulness of your daughter's letter. Since you have contacted the teacher to express your concerns, you need to talk to the administrator. Provide your emails as documentation and make a request that this disciplinary method not be used with your daughter. Be specific about what is okay and what is not okay.

4
1

TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
This teacher made a very poor choice - in fact at least two poor choices. She assigned a task for which she promised them they would not get in trouble but reading truthful 'confessional letters' aloud can end up with students angry at each other. That's trouble.
And hen encouraging students to vote on the truthfulness of one of he letters- that's getting the child into trouble which the teacher promised would not happen.
This teacher was not truthful with her students and she has not responded to your inquiry in a professional way either.

0
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
It is really true that the teachers are the best guider of the student. If a teacher always try to do something for student she can easily make it with reference. If any one need the reference like that please observe carefully.Please consider the below link as reference .

0
2
dabaEd
dabaEd writes:
Please keep working with your child's teacher to help support your child's needs in the classroom. Please remember that not all details may be accurate. As the parent you are getting things 2nd or 3rd hand and through the comprehension of a 6 year old. I have seen many times where children and parents have gotten basic information that had been filled in with details that hadn't happened. This is what the human mind is exceptional at, filling in details when trying to comprehend the world. Since this behavioral technique is questionable at best, you should schedule a conference with the teacher to calmly go through what had happened, how the teacher could keep closer contact with you in your child is having difficulty, and how you can work as a team to support your child.

0
0