KINDERPARENT
KINDERPARENT asks:
Q:

Do teacher's really take children w/ ADD or ADHD serious enough to give them the kind of attention they need?

My son tried to start Kindergarten last year and because he had ADHD his teacher said she recommended he return next year when " he grows up a little more". Well, he's six now and just as ready as last year, we are really concerned if he will get the very same attention as the other kids or will he be sent to the principle's office for them to call me to pick him up as was thier way of handling him last year. He's on medication that he only needs to take once every morning every day. He's amazingly smart and has been tested by the best in the Mt. Diablo School Dist. He tested above average in almost every area and we can only hope he gets a teacher that sees this, embraces it and doesn't see only a brief moment of an unfocused child and sends him away as was done so carelessly last year. We hope all the kids are embraced and given the same chance as other kids are given each and every day!
I would also like to know why there is no immediate place on the home page that say's what day school starts! It would be a very simple thing to add and be an immediate piece of valuable info for us first timer's to the school system and help us prepare and want to use the web site for all our needs. So, please add this simple piece of info....Thanks!
In Topics: Back to school

|

redflutterby
redflutterby writes:
I suggest you discuss the problem with the school administrators. My son went through the same thing in kindergarten and first grade. After discussing the problem with my son's doctor, he volunteered (at his regular hourly rate) to go to the school for me. Well, this triggered a chain reaction that opened the flood gates for us. My son was moved into a special class with a part time Special Education teacher. He got more attention since there were two teachers in the room most of the time, and being officially designated by the school district as having special needs, he gets special attention throughout his day, whether it's music, P.E., or lunch time when he's away from his normal teachers. He has done much better this year and rarely goes to the office anymore (except to get rewards for good behavior). I was apprehensive at first, but it has really been wonderful not getting calls at work and having to leave to pick him up for misbehaving. His self confidence has improved as well. We are not in the Mt. Diablo School District but I hope this helps. Good luck! Oh, and see the link for the school calendar.

0
0