ghammett
ghammett , Student asks:
Q:

What do you do when a teacher makes fun of a student?

I go to pre-algebra 1 and the teacher makes fun of this boy with a big lip. So do I step up and say something or do I just let it go?

|
mestaples
mestaples writes:
So you are also a student in this class?  I would find a polite way to support the student and then report it to your principal.  It is unacceptable for teacher or staff to make fun of students and sets a hostile learning environment.  Does this kid feel upset by the teacher's comments?  My best advice is to support him kindly, so you don' get in trouble from the teacher.  Then report it to your principal or counselor.  Good luck!

8
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
i agree with the previous writer.  support the child and report the teacher to the principal. letting it go encourages the teacher to verbally and emotionally bully the boy.  do the right thing and report the teacher to the principal and write a note for the boy's parents so that they can take action as well.

0
0
TeacherIntern
TeacherIntern writes:
I would investigate the teacher's code of ethics for your state, and then report them to your board of education. In Florida, the teacher’s code of ethics prohibits teachers from intentionally exposing a student to unnecessary embarrassment or disparagement. Interestingly we have a situation in Tampa where teachers have created a wall of shame in the teachers’ lounge for teachers to write "dumb" things students say. The principal even stood up for the teachers when somebody pointed out how wrong this was... appalling! I understand that teachers might giggle about things like this privately, but it should never be done publically and posting these types of things in writting on school grounds it just wrong! A classroom should be a safe place to fail! When a teacher embarrasses a student publically they violate that principle.

1
0
kiwisweater
kiwisweater writes:
you need to tell your school principal! that i serious. i am a teacher myself and to be safe dont step up just let a trusted adult so nothing happens with you and the teacher.

0
0