gvljohnsons
gvljohnsons asks:
Q:

Teacher holding child responsible for reminding of IEP

My son is a 9th grader with ADD & a writing disorder. His IEP gives him extra time to complete written work. His History teacher is giving a hard time at every test, telling my son he must let the teacher know in advance that he will need extra time and when he will do the rest of the test.  I think this is not my son's responsibility, since the IEP is established and he should not have to ask for the accommodation once the teacher knows of it.  This teacher called him out in the hall and yelled at him just before his mid-term because he had not "arranged in advance" for extra time.  Who is right?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

The IEP is the responsibility of the school to make sure it is implemented.  However, I would suggest that your son remind this particular teacher that he will need extra before each test.  So once the teacher announces the date for the next exam, have your son email the teacher this request.  Whether he uses the time or not it doesn't matter.  By sending an email you know have a record of the request.  In defense of the teacher, she probably is not very organized and forgets.  By your son reminding her, you are following her request.

If the problem gets worse, contact the school to set up a meeting with the ESE specialist.  Ask him/her how this situation can be resolved.  Putting it back on the school, and be sure to point out what you and your son have tried to resolve the problem.

Hope that helps.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0