baygirl
baygirl asks:
Q:

Should I be upset by how my daughter's teacher acted today? She didn't listen.

I had just put my daughter in her school line to enter the classroom in the morning, and as they were walking in she stopped and turned around and called me, I went over to her, and she stated that her stomach hurt, I told her maybe it would go away, and if it didn't to tell her Teacher and she would send her to the Nurse. She asked me to tell her Teacher just in case, so I said ok, if it will make you feel more comfortable, I caught the Teacher as she was walking in and just got out the words my daughter says her stomach hurts, she grabbed my daughter by her back-pack which swung her around and almost fell, my little girl had to catch the back-pack, and the Teacher said oh she'll feel better by afternoon, didn't even wait for me to finish, I was livid as she whisked my daughter in and up the stairs.  I had to wait a minute, and calm myself down, I could not believe she had done this, so I marched upstairs and said excuse me Teacher I did not finish I started to say that I had told my daughter to let her know if her stomach did not get better to notify her and she would send her to the nurse,I told her that my daughter does not complain for nothing. The prior year my daughter had had severe stomach pain, told the teacher, and the teacher told her go get a sip of water and be seated, my daughter ended up Vomiting in the class, I was called and she spent the next 6hrs. in the ER (poss Appendicitis). Should I be upset by how this Teacher acted?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Medical problems

|

Dear Baygirl:

You acted out of concern for your daughter giving her and potentially the teacher a "system" or plan of action if things didn't improve with her abdominal pain.  Of course, this complaint in a school child could go both ways. Given your previous ER experience, I would suggest you speak with the principal of your daughter's school and/or meet again with the teacher when she is not actively engaged in teaching a class to come to an agreement or understand school policy. You advocated for your daughter. Good luck.

0
0

edconsultant
edconsultant writes:
You absolutely have every right to do whatever is necessary to ensure the best possible environment and situation for your daughter. This is your child, not the school's property. I am continually amazed at how the best parents suddenly relinquish all rights when they send their children to school. Given the same situation, I would have probably taken my daughter home as soon as I noticed the lack of concern coming from the teacher.

I am an educator and I feel strongly that I am employed to serve each child and family that is put in my care. It is not my job to second guess a situation and it is always my duty to listen and provide whatever is reasonable and necessary to keep students healthy, safe and ready to learn.

This teacher sounds unhappy with her life's work and uninterested in serving her families in such a way that provides suitable environment for her students. I would not neglect to meet with the principal and the teacher and set some expectations. The school works for you; your tax dollars pay the bill, your daughter deserves an environment and treatment which is conducive to learning and educators need to stay focused upon why they decided to teach in the first place.

Stand firm and make sure your daughter is in good hands.

Monique Zarcone
M.A. of Ed in Teaching and Learning

0
0
dionod
dionod writes:
yes you should be upset.that teacher is supose to look after your daughters needs while she is in school.it is a discrase the way some teachers carry on just cause she is having a bad morning.you should bypass the teacher and go straight to the principle let he/she know your concerns and that you will seek further advise from the board of education.your daughter will be on top of her class in no time..

0
0
BMelton , Teacher writes:
There may be several things going on in this situation. You felt the way that the teacher grabbed your child was rough. Do you have any indications that these teacher behaviors are ongoing? Could this tension between the teacher and your daughter explain the stomach aches? Ask your daughter for more information if you suspect she feels uncomfortable in the class. Many times the child is anxious and wants to do well. Her stomach aches may be real but also a way to get out of a tense situation or to get your attention.  

You may want to talk with the school counselor and ask the counselor to be involved with the teacher conference. Share your observations and concerns with the counselor. Let him/her know that you are concerned about your daughter's complaint of stomach problems. A plan should be developed to handle stomach aches or other complaints. Ask about the policies and procedures in place to ensure that a sick child is not ignored.

You may also want to follow-up with your family physician to rule out any medical issues.

1
0
Anonymous