sonofmine2
sonofmine2 asks:
Q:

A Teacher's son is bullying my son, no help from private school.

A second grade teacher's son who is in the 6th grade with my son is bullying my son.  I have notified the school principal, teachers. The bully has had saturday school and detention. He even brags about it in class my son says.  He calls him names.  A teacher let the boys roughhouse on recess and this bully kneed my son so hard in the lower side he made a bruise.  Teacher didn't
stop it.  The school said "it has been dealt with" on each incident. If it were my son, he would of already been expelled. Now he is depressed, not acting like himself. Not being able to focus in class.  One of the 6th grade teacher has let him take his work home, he didn't get it finished the other day. Only 1/2 credit and wouldn't let him take it home to finish. How is this supposed to help? Need advise!!  

|

We are very sorry your son continues to be bullied at school and the school has not been responsive. It should not matter if the boy is a teacher's son, he should still be held accountable for his actions. As you mentioned he has received detention and Saturday school, which shows some level of responsibility. When teasing, put downs and bullying affect student performance in school, in many cases the schools could be doing more to intervene.

Since this is a private school, you may or may not have another avenue of support from an upper level of administration, as you would if this was a public school. We know from talking to many parents in similar situations, that sometimes the only way to get effective help is to keep trying and go to the next higher level of administration.

Another approach is to go directly to this boy's parents. Since his father is a teacher it makes it more complicated on how to address the issue directly. You can try calling the parents at home and explaining your concerns. It is possible that they have no idea of what is really going on.

This is very difficult for your son and also for you. Please know that our Hotline is here 24 hours, 7 days a week to listen and to help parents through any problem they may be having. We can be reached by e-mail or through our toll-free number. We also have an excellent website for 'tweens and teens if you think your son could benefit from it.  Please direct him to: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

1
0

jcb2147
jcb2147 writes:
Miss:  I was responding to your question when my internet connection was lost and my many words too.  I too was picked on as a kid and suffered some major consequences as a result, including depression.  Now I am a confident 27 year old man that works as a high school teacher.  I feel I have some very good advice for you but it will take a lot longer to write out than speak over the phone.  I feel very stongly about situations like this because it is bullies (and the people who protect them) that cause things like Columbine.  You son, and noboby for that matter, deserves to be treated the way he is.  And if the bullying doesn't stop it could effect him the rest of his life.  I would very much like to help you out if you would be willing to hear what I have to say.  I live on the west coast but call anytime as this is a serious matter that is so often over-looked in America.  Hope to hear from you soon, John

1
0
PhyllisNTexas
PhyllisNTexas writes:
What I would do if I was the parent is file charges on the child and get the police department to go and talk to the parents of this child and let them know the sitiution and that you will persue the charges if this doesn't come to a stop...

2
0
babiicakez98
babiicakez98 writes:
You need to find out who the bully's mother is and go to them. Then if nothing stops, press charges and make sure you have proff (pictures, letters, etc.)

1
0
nickay
nickay writes:
Let me just start off by saying i was a victim of bullying. I was bullied from grade 4-8 so bad to the point where i had suicidal thoughts. In my oppion it is worst for the boys because they are normally more physical. I was picked on because i was small (4'10, 90 pounds in the 8th grade) and a "NERD"  so they say. The best thing for your son is to get his confidence back up. Let me tell you my story.

The summer before my freshman year changed me, i grew my hair longer, started taking MMA lessons and started lifting. When school started back up i was 5'2 135 pounds and benching 150 ( It does'nt sound like much, but you have to remember what i came from). But what do you know all 3 boys followed me from my middle school to my highschool. and i guess you could already conclude i got jumped. So my parents took me out of the school and home schooled me for my whole freshman year. while being homeschooled i kept doing my activities (lifting, mma, baseball, football and wrestling). MY 10th grade year my parents put me back in the highschool. I came back maxing out at 275 and having arms like legs. My first day of school, my father said to me " It is time you acted like a man and forgave these boys for what they did to you, but never forget". To sum the rest of it up, i took a stand for myself. 5 days out of school for 3 broken noses and to never be bothered again was defently worth it. I am now 16 years old about to begin my 11th grade year, in the greatest shape of my life, with a girlfriend i love and can't wait to be married to. Now i'm not saying the best thing for you to do for your son is to go buy him whey protein and tell him to lift. Simpily find him something he loves to do the most and let him do it, whatever it may be. he needs something to get his mind off the bullies, and a outlet he uses to get around from them. if i would have to sugest something i would pick a sport that is physicaly demanding. such as wrestling, MMA or boxing...something. I wish i attended the same school as your son i truly do but unless you live in the DE area i can't help him with that.

2
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
I am not sure about what you meant about the 1/2 credit etc....but this is simply NOT okay and you must not feel powerless or helpless about this and take action until you get a response.  If administration does not address it, go to the board of education.  This is an injustice from what you described.  Kids don't learn when anxious and deserve a safe environment.  I have interviewed a student for my book, Stop Bullying Now, and she had a similar experience that escalated so take action now.
Give your child a voice!    Let me know how it goes.  
Edie

0
0
EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Edie

0
0
Mark64
Mark64 writes:
Male figure needs to go to the bullies house and have a heart to heart with his family. If this needs to get police involved do it your teaching your child how to fight for himself.

0
0
tiffy2000
tiffy2000 writes:
I would stop the kid from bullying your son and i would go over to his house and tell his mother on him

0
0