short-DaveB
short-DaveB asks:
Q:

Teacher suggesting our child may be autistic but we dont think so...

Please can someone help with this. My son is just 5 years old, and until now we've never had any concerns about his development whatsoever. Hes been to daycare centres at ages 1-1.5 and 2-2.5 and then again around 4 for a short while, and nothing was reported unusual. However a few months ago his kindergarten teacher said she had some concerns about his speech and motor skills development. We had never considered it a problem before, however we decided to take him for the speech assessment. It went pretty well is results were for an average score of 7-13, on one test was 6 and the other 7. So there was a slight language delay but she gave us areas we could work on which we have...and i'm seeing huge improvements now in such things as beginning sounds and rhyming etc.

The kindy also asked for us to check his gross and fine motor skills with an OT assessment. In the end we decided not to do this as we checked the milestones he was supposed to be attain such as standing on one foot, riding a bike, catching a ball etc and they were all improving...and could do all of them without problem. He is still a little uncoordinated, but then he is very tall so...

Then finally we were told they had some worries with his mixing socially. We really havent seen much of that. When hes with friends or at the playground...he seems to mix well, he talks to the other kids but maybe isnt the most social. Again we're not seeing the issues the school is seeing...has anyone felt the same as me?
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Learning disabilities, Special needs

|

As Dr. Spock said many years ago, "you know your child the best"  I would ask your pediatrician for her evaluation and if there are still doubts, then I would have a developmental pediatrician evaluate your son.  It will remove any doubts.  It is always best to have several opinions.  Delayed milestones don't make a diagnosis alone.

0
0

Acarlson05
Acarlson05 writes:
There are many different types of autism, each varying in their intensity of symptoms. I wish I knew a specific piece of advice, but what I have is my story. My son was a very independent child. My husband and I would be exhausted on a daily basis getting him through each day. No one thought he had different traits than any other child his age. He would be a bit difficult with energy levels spiking, listening was almost non existent and he was starting to show destructive tendencies that I felt were a little over the top for his age. When my son started having problems in 4K, I didn't know if it was him, the other students or his teacher. We talked to his teacher, made some changes to his diet and home schedule. The problems lessened at school and at home, but started to plateau. So we started the evaluation process through his doctor. Saw a psychiatrist who didn't see any problems, but said that since I was a teacher and his mother I probably knew that he had ADD/ADHD. The issues my son had were similar, but not right for ADD/ADHD like his teacher said. Finally we figured out that the teacher wasn't doing the things with him that she said she was. We dealt with his teacher carefully because she was also a coworker of mine. He didn't get an IEP because we didn't see that his issues were not impeding his education and he was so young that it is difficult to find a specific label for behavior. I researched as much as I could, and finally decided to home school so I could help him one on one. I would definitely look up some autism groups in your area because they will have lots of starting places for a parent in your situation. They might even be able to tell you a specialist, doctor or counselor who could help you handle the teacher, answer questions and even go through the evaluation process should you decide to do it. If your son doesn't have autism, still keep a smile on your face because they watch that. My son was very nervous about the whole process and started to feel like there was something wrong with him. It's difficult, but not impossible. :) Each child is so different. If you feel like there isn't any difference between what is expected and what he is capable of is important because you are the parent. That trumps a lot!

0
0
Anonymous