Anonymous
Q:

Why is it that the teachers are not asking for any identification card when somebody picks-up the child at school?

Why is it that the teachers is not asking for any I.D. when somebody picks-up their students at school ( refering to the relatives or friends of the parents)? I think it's not safe if you only asking : are you the uncle, grandma, brother or sister? - because it's just easy to say YES I AM even if it's not.
In Topics: School and Academics, School safety (not bullying)

|

Many schools have safe guards in place so proper ID as well as parent permission is required when a child is being picked up before the regular dismissal time. However, once the bell rings at the end of the day, students are free to leave the campus with whomever.  

Since you are a concerned parent, I would check with your child's school to find out their policy.  If something isn't happening the way it should, then bring it to their attention.  If you believe that things need to be changed, then get involved.  You can do this by working with the school's PTA or PTO.  Also, many schools have a School Improvement Committee that is made up of parents, teachers, administrators, and community members who make decisions.

Hope this helps.
Barb K
www.lessonpop.com

1
0

earl
earl writes:
Policy that is in order at most schools:  There is a card to fill out when the child enrolls that identifies the persons who are responsible for picking up the student, and their phone numbers are given.  Most teachers meet with the parents on special occassions such as "Parents Night" or the first day of school to visually identify the persons assigned to pick up the student; I take a cell phone picture at that time.   The school requires that the name of the pick-up person be given in addition to the visual identification. The mandatore teacher's Inservice prior to the school year opening covers this subject in detail.  As a teacher I always asked the student: "Is this Mr.___, or Mrs. ____ as a second verification for a safe transfer of a student from the school to the responsible adult; and I ask them to give me their phone number and sign a form showing the time and day that they picked up my student.   A quick check on my cell phone identifies the phone number and the cell phone picture.   If they do not pass my safe transfer quiz of identification, then I do not hesitate to ask them to provide me proof that they have valad identification and permission to pick up my student. If they are irritated at the time it takes, I always appologize for the inconvenience.  I have been known to call the parent at work to be sure that I release my student to the proper person.  Safety of the student has my top priority.  But, if I know the person that is picking up the student only a friendly greeting is necessary. Usually when I get a call from the office that a person is going to pick up a student from my class, I check on my cell phone their picture and phone number to not delay the transfer when the adult comes to my room.

0
0
Anonymous