Karenmom asks:
Q:

Teachers!!  Which should come first?

I've just got some great summer books for my soon to be 4th grader, Titanic (Magic Tree House) book which is Fiction and the Non-Fiction companion---I also got The Mystery in Chocolate Town: Hershey, PA which is Fiction and the Non-Fiction story of Milton Hershey.

I was wondering if there is a order in which she should read these books to obtain a better understanding.  Should I have her read the Non-Fiction book first so that she can enjoy the Fictional version or should she read the Fictional version and then follow up with the truth.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Camp and summer enrichment

|
Tchrgrl

Best Answer!

Read the fictional version first.  Fiction is usually easier than nonfiction.  That will build background knowledge to build from when your child is then reading the nonfiction book, as the story will only give a few facts and build a context for those facts.  The non-fiction book might be so much information that it could be overwhelming.  Finally, the answer to your question would be different depending how much he/she already knows about the subject.  If your child knows a lot about dinosaurs, the book's level is decreased.  Book leveling is not accurate.  It all depends on the information the child already is familiar with.

1
0
Anonymous